z

Young Writers Society

about a greek quote

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:25 pm
IceCreamMan says...

Who said "The unexamined life is not worth living"? I'm just interested to see if anyone knows this (I'm sure the college students do). I learned it in my philosophy class, which is called "Developing and Examined Life" (after the quote). After someone posts the correct answer (or even before, if you want) then I'd be interested to see how YOU interpret (sp?) this quote. I just want it to be open discussion on what it means, who said it, etc. I already know who said it.
Clementine: This is it, Joel. It’s going to be gone soon.
Joel: I know.
Clementine: What do we do?
Joel: Enjoy it.”
-Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind-

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:40 pm
Meta-Messiah says...

I've heard this before somewhere, there's some tired old cliched similie that describes my minds inability to store anything but i forget. Tell me if im way off here because my philosophy reading is progressing slowly due to other commitments, but i felt that this meant that within our life if we do not question, if we merely take things at their face value and are never willing to look beneath to see the truth then we have wasted our life, and within it we will never truly have developed.
"Ich weisse jetzt was keine engle weisse" Wings of desire

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:11 pm
IceCreamMan says...

yea, thats pretty much how i intrepreted it. My teacher didn't really explain it much. I'm going to wait a while longer before I say who said it. A hint: this guy is a famous greek philosopher who was tried at court and sentanced to death for teaching the youth that the greek gods were bs. He had to drink hemlock, the greek form of execution.
Clementine: This is it, Joel. It’s going to be gone soon.
Joel: I know.
Clementine: What do we do?
Joel: Enjoy it.”
-Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind-

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:21 pm
sabradan says...

either Socrates or Plato. Not sure which one though.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:31 pm
-KayJuran- says...

try googling it!!! :)

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:37 pm
Duskglimmer says...

*laughs* that's cheating!

I agree with Meta-Messiah and IceCreamMan as to what it means.
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:35 am
Griffinkeeper says...

http://www.philosophypages.com/ph/socr.htm

Yep, it was Socrates.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education.
— Martin Luther King, Jr.