z

Young Writers Society

YWS in Writer's Digest

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:55 am
Nate says...

Well, I just found out about this last night, but the Young Writers Society got a brief, though very prominent, mention in the latest issue of Writer's Digest. It ranked number 2 on their Top Shelf, which is "A smattering of our favorite literary goodies these days." The mention reads:
Young Writers Society
At his online peer-review community for writers ages 13-25, administrator Nathaniel Lee Caldwell says members post more than 50 pieces on the site daily, from vampire fiction to articles on the Cameron-Clegg coalition and Britain's future. Plus YWS publishes a literary journal - and has a no netspeak policy (think of it as a LOL-free zone). The future is looking bright.

So, bully! I've also attached part of the page it appeared on.
Attachments
yws_wd.jpg
yws_wd.jpg (124.87 KiB) Viewed 503 times

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:28 am
Evi says...

=O How fabulous! It's true, though. We're (part of) the future of the literary world, which is both exciting and terrifying.
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:33 am
wonderland says...

Ohmigosh! That is actually pretty cool.
'We will never believe again, kick drum beating in my chest again, oh, we will never believe in anything again, preach electric to a microphone stand.'

*Formerly wickedwonder*

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:35 am
JabberHut says...

Evi wrote:=O How fabulous! It's true, though. We're (part of) the future of the literary world, which is both exciting and terrifying.

*likes*

Also, out of curiosity, what was number 3? XD
I make my own policies.

425 Reviews

Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:44 am
Nate says...

JabberHut wrote:
Also, out of curiosity, what was number 3? XD

Haha, that picture is extremely open to interpretation! But it's just some weird type of USB drive for "discerning scribes." The url is: http://bit.ly/aDrAZI

Random avatar

Reviews: 275
Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:50 am
Calligraphy says...

Besides this, how else is YWS promoted? We have so many members. Is it spread besides through random searches on Google and word of mouth?

Thanks,

A. S.

P.S. That USB drive thing is awesome. I have to get one of those!

159 Reviews

Reviews: 159
Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:57 am
MeanMrMustard says...

Hm. I have that issue, I'll need to check it again. Quite an accomplishment Nate!

Did they contact you in advance or did you send something in to be mentioned? Didn't realize it could be without mention if it is. :?

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:00 am
Kamas says...

Wooooo.
"Nothing is permanent in this wicked world - not even our troubles." ~ Charles Chaplin

#tnt

425 Reviews

Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:06 am
Nate says...

Thanks MMM :)

I did send something to them in advance; basically just a letter introducing YWS to Writer's Digest. I was worried nothing would come of it since I sent it several months ago, but it was worth the wait. I really couldn't ask for a better mention than what they wrote.

Calligraphy ->> Like most websites, YWS is spread primarily by word of mouth. There's a couple of other ways the site spreads, but it's 90% word of mouth. Which is why it's so important to tell your friends and family how great YWS is over and over and over ;)

159 Reviews

Reviews: 159
Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:05 am
MeanMrMustard says...

Nate wrote:Thanks MMM :)

I did send something to them in advance; basically just a letter introducing YWS to Writer's Digest. I was worried nothing would come of it since I sent it several months ago, but it was worth the wait. I really couldn't ask for a better mention than what they wrote.

Awesome. For the record, since that is the case, I wouldn't be surprised if there were some actual publishing companies keeping tabs of this site, or literary agents looking for the next big thing. No joke. That magazine is read by most of the industry, if not all (they watch anthologies and big time contest results more, but you never know). However, being a forum...it's probably purely to check it out, and if that's all, could be a question if any did (not trying to waffle, remember these people need to make $$$). Nate might be going places. :smt002

I wonder Nate, with this place around for a while, it could be advantageous with a growing reputation for your magazine to be mentioned by some members here with aspirations for a career. I wasn't sure before and you were only mentioned as having one, with no real analysis by WD, but your publication could be quite an enterprise if handled right. Just a thought. I'll stop here for your sake.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:35 am
Shearwater says...

Yay, go YWS! And Nate, lol :]
There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
-W. Somerset Maugham

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:06 am
Demeter says...

(LOL!

hahaha see what did there?)

Anyway, Nate, wow wow wow that is absolutely fantastic and cool and wow! And number 2, too! Very well deserved, of course :)
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

253 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 253
Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:33 am
RacheDrache says...

Argh, of course. This would come in the issue after my subscription expired.

But, this is awesome.
I don't fangirl. I fandragon.

Have you thanked a teacher lately? You should. Their bladder control alone is legend.

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:29 am
Tigersprite says...

Great! Maybe they'll have a whole article on us one of these days. :)
"A superman ... is, on account of certain superior qualities inherent in him, exempted from the ordinary laws which govern men. He is not liable for anything he may do."
Nathan Leopold

770 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 770
Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:01 am
borntobeawriter says...

I started jumping up and down when I saw the article, then ran to my laptop to tell my Facebook/yws user friends, then came on YWS. haha. Nicely done, we'll be famous! ;)
Tanya

It is only a novel... or, in short, only some work in which the greatest powers of the mind are displayed, in which the most thorough knowledge of human nature, the happiest delineation of its varieties, the liveliest effusions of wit and humour, are conveyed to the world in the best-chosen language
— Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey