z

Young Writers Society

Opinions on Stereotypes Please?

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:36 pm
xX_white_shadow_Xx says...

I hate stereotypes. I HATE them! And I was thinking, do those who have the 'popular' or 'jock' or 'preppy' or any of those crappy ones, well, do they feel better about stereotypes because people supposedly like them better? I am generally stereotyped as emo, goth, metal-head, punk, nerd, dork (I'll admit that one is true!) or just plain freak. What are you all stereotyped as and how does it make you feel/people act towards you? Also, what is your overall view of this?

Thanks!
Nutty
Last edited by xX_white_shadow_Xx on Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is he dancing with a little boy in spandex?!

~Papa Doorbell

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:11 am
Lucinda says...

XD I think that generally, people are un-stereotype-able. I mean, deathmetal rocker man might secretly love romantic comedies, and preppy cute girl might be into deathmetal. xD
People don't really try to stereotype me, although some people have muttered "typical writer" about me once or twice. (Probably when I told them about my love for tea, rain, and classical music. XD) I've always taken this as a complement.
So don't worry about stereotype-ers. Some people just *need* to feel like everyone fits into a tidy little group.
The history of the world
My pet
Is learn forgiveness
And try to forget!

-Sweeney Todd

I'm a damsel...
I'm in distress...
I can handle it.
Have a nice day.

-Hercules

Masquerade!
Paper faces on parade
Masquerade
Hide your face so the world can never find you.

-The Phantom of the Opera

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:06 am
kaiden says...

People like to classify others because it makes life seem so much simpler. And because usually all of the same stereotype hang out together anyways. Sorry but that's the real world to ya. No matter where we go, there will always be "stereotypes". It's a part of human nature to classify others. I know you don't like it, and want to break from the whole stereotype but that's just the way it is.

Maybe you could just make your own stereotype. The Radicals! Radically different from the rest of society.
Any man can handle adversity, to test a man's character give him power - Abraham Lincoln

To be the greatest is when everything before you is obsolete, and everything after you bears your mark. - ?

436 Reviews

Reviews: 436
Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:31 am
AquaMarine says...

Maybe you could just make your own stereotype. The Radicals! Radically different from the rest of society

But then they turn into those (again, stereotypical) people who think they are extremely awesome and cool and funkayy just because they "don't conform" and hate everything that otherpeople like because they are different from everybody else. And then they only like bands that people have never heard of or that people don't like; and they all wear groooovay clothes that most people think are pretty wierd. And they are so hypocritical because they BECOME stereotypes and conform to a certain style, while despising others that decide to follow a different style or group as such. I do dislike these peoples.

Not that I've ... though about that or anything. :D

I'm not saying that I really believe in stereotypes. 'Cause we never know what's really going on with someone, even if they appear to be some kind of stereotype.

And, there's a difference between Geek, Dork, and Nerd - right?

Me? I'm probably the: Dorky, loud one, that never really does much homework but gets good marks, is actually very good at a couple of lessons, high fives a lot of people, quite funny, has a few teachers out to get her, has a few teachers that love her, has her close friends and has her not so close friends. And ....

Y'know? I really hate compressing that.
"It is curious how often you humans manage to obtain that which you do not want."

-Spock.

Click if you love cookies

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:49 am
kaiden says...

AquaMarine wrote:
Maybe you could just make your own stereotype. The Radicals! Radically different from the rest of society

But then they turn into those (again, stereotypical) people who think they are extremely awesome and cool and funkayy just because they "don't conform" and hate everything that otherpeople like because they are different from everybody else. And then they only like bands that people have never heard of or that people don't like; and they all wear groooovay clothes that most people think are pretty wierd. And they are so hypocritical because they BECOME stereotypes and conform to a certain style, while despising others that decide to follow a different style or group as such. I do dislike these peoples.

Not that I've ... though about that or anything. :D

I'm not saying that I really believe in stereotypes. 'Cause we never know what's really going on with someone, even if they appear to be some kind of stereotype.

And, there's a difference between Geek, Dork, and Nerd - right?

Me? I'm probably the: Dorky, loud one, that never really does much homework but gets good marks, is actually very good at a couple of lessons, high fives a lot of people, quite funny, has a few teachers out to get her, has a few teachers that love her, has her close friends and has her not so close friends. And ....

Y'know? I really hate compressing that.

hahahahaha maybe we were meant to be stereotypical. :lol:
Any man can handle adversity, to test a man's character give him power - Abraham Lincoln

To be the greatest is when everything before you is obsolete, and everything after you bears your mark. - ?

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:53 am
Levan says...

I'd know each of us is unique in our own ways. We have interests, but so what? It's not like we can like other things as well. ;)

In our country, stereotyping is quite a rare occurrence. I believe its even extremely mixed here, like for example, "nerdy" people tend to even have the knack for sports, or an Arnis expert with the love for making artistry.

This really just means we shouldn't stick to just one, but instead, be flexible in our interests and choices, and keep it balanced as much as possible. It can be very irritating if someone calls you something you don't want to be called.

Powerful men have a way of avoiding consequences.
— Dr. Harrison Wells, The Flash