z

Young Writers Society

Cryptic Songs

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:03 pm
Hippie says...

My favourite sort of songs are ones with cryptic, ambiguous messages. The sort that you listen to over and over to try and figure out the underlying meaning E.g. Bohemian Rhapsody, Stairway to Heaven, Empty Walls, Sister Awake, Heaven Coming Down, Hotel California, etc.

I also like songs that are meaningful, even if easy to figure out like Wish You Were Here, Lightning Crashes, Sonnet etc.

My Favourite Bands are The Tea Party, Pink Floyd, The Verve, Fleet Foxes and MGMT. I don't like Heavy Metal, but am open to lighter metal. I also don't like really soft or romantic stuff. Songs that have a buildup are good.

Any suggestions?
Q: Where do you go to buy shoes?

A: At the shoez canal, lol.

Random avatar

Reviews: 115
Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:33 pm
Young gun says...

If its about trying to find the underlying meaning,try this:

He's everything you want-vertical horizon

Almost an coldplay song.(glass of water,square one,swallowed in the sea,etc)
Too bad we don't live to experinece death

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:43 am
Krupp says...

Excellent metal that you can listen to that has great lyrics would be these three metal bands, in my opinion.

Tool: ok, so maybe they're more of a rock band than anything, but Maynard is quite a good writer. More than satisfactory to listen to.

Isis: More metal than Tool with more screaming vocals, but they're not annoying or distracting, and they sure don't take away anything from the music itself. Lyrics are heavily ambiguous and are a challenge. Check out the album Oceanic, and then Panopticon for these guys.

Rosetta: My personal favorite of these three, Rosetta's lyricist, Michael Armine, is a great writer. A teacher from Philly, too. The lyrics are like Isis in that they're very ambiguous, and all you know is that they're supposedly about a man in space. But you don't know much else besides that, and you're left figuring it all out on your own after that.

If you want any other bands with great lyrics let me know. These were just three off the top of my head.
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

Wist is Ley's mind, confirmed
— WeepingWisteria