z

Young Writers Society

What will you do in this situation?

Random avatar

Reviews: 24
Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:41 am
RainWanderer says...

Lets say its 2 am, and you have just finished a new chapter of your story. You feel happy, of course, so you go to bed with a smile. However, while you trying to sleep, your imagination does not. No matter how hard you try, ideas begin to form, and before you know it, a beautiful new plot for a new story pops out in your head! And, like every good writer, you have to get up again, although its already 3 am, and take out your Laptop(or note book, depends) and start writing your new plot down. Finishing writing the plot down for future writing, you go back to bed, trying to find your beautiful sleep again. But it never comes. The plot your have just wrote down keep bouncing in your head, crying, screaming, shouting, begging, pleading, commanding, telling you to write it into a story! So, again, you have to stand up, make your self a cup of coffee and start writing at 4 am. After a while, you feel so happy as the words in your mind keep flowing out like a torrent of creativity, but then, you heard the sound of bird chirping outside. Pulling the curtains on your window aside, you see a shining sun smiles with you on the bright blue sky. All you can say then is: "Oh...wow...Another all-nighter for me..."

Hello, this is Rain wanderer. It is 4 pm now. I have just woke up after another all night writing. I just want to ask you guys: What will you do in that situation? Instead of staying up all night writing, is there anyway to get a good night sleep without missing out a nice idea or plot? :(
Who am I? Just a wanderer, traveling from real life to dreams.

“Writing a book is a very lonely business. You are totally cut off from the rest of the world, submerged in your obsessions and memories.” - Mario Vargas Llosa

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:31 pm
wolf4 says...

Yikes! That always happens to me, usually on school nights. I'd just try scribbling it down on a note card and try to get some sleep then expand on it in the morning. But then there's the factor of the idea eating away at your brain, depriving you of sleep. Sigh... I have no clue on what to do with the sleep part.

Hope I could be of a little assistance :)

~Wolfy
Don't follow in my footsteps. I run into walls.

Sometimes, it's best not to question your friends. Just help them dump the body into the river.

Even if the voices aren't real, they have pretty good ideas.

Writing isn't an excuse for insanity. It's a reason.

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:56 pm
KailaMarie says...

That's happened to me, but I don't get up. I just write down the idea so I don't forget and then ignore it as best as I can and go to sleep. Maybe listen to relaxing music to distract yourself. Or just get up and write because if it helps you write, then good for you. But If you absolutely need sleep that night, just try to ignore it, but remember it. lol.
... :D ...
[url]spottedturtle.tumblr.com[/url]

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:19 pm
Hippie says...

I've had an idea for a couple of weeks, all planned out and all. I was going to save it for Nanowrimo, and focus on school for now. What a joke! I ended up starting it at 12 o'clock two nights ago. I even thought of a good title for it which is unusual for me.

That was really my brothers fault though because he had a friend over and they were being noisy so I couldn't sleep.

Usually I don't have that problem. I guess you could try meditating if you're into that sort of thing. It has gotten me to sleep a couple of times, although curiously I only fall asleep whilst meditating if the lights are on.

Another suggestion - Get up really early and do heaps of exercise so that you're so buggered by the end of the day that you fall asleep as soon as your head hits the pillow.

Your predicament sounds most annoying. Good luck solving it. When you're a full time writer you can sleep during the day.
Q: Where do you go to buy shoes?

A: At the shoez canal, lol.

Reviews: 0
Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:55 pm
YodelingVet1 says...

I usually just remember my ideas in the morning. So you should just go to sleep. In the morning if you are doing something that day, then you should write down your ideas on your laptop/notebook, and then retrieve them later. I don't know if that helps, but you never know!
I should get a plot of land- about a mile long, an inch wide. Yessiree, my very own spaghetti farm.
--Garfield

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:12 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

If a plot bunny visited me during the extreme early morning, then I would throw him in a trap and talk to him in the morning.

But if I couldn't catch him...

I wouldn't write it out on a laptop, there are simply too many ways to get distracted. I'd buy a memo pad and write out the idea there. The memo pad is small enough that you can only write out a few details, while the exercise of writing by hand will add another incentive to finish it as quickly as possible.

Having brain waves at any or all hours of the day is an occupational hazard when you're a creative author. So the best advice may be to get sleep whenever you have writers block.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:34 am
.:Elf:. says...

I've had that happen to me a few times, but I'm insomniac, so I guess I'm used to it.
I just write it, for as long as it needs, of course then I'm dead tired, but after a few nights of that, I finally do end up with a few normal night's sleep.

"People should not be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
— V for Vendetta