z

Young Writers Society

Hi, I have a problem with the story that I'm writing.....

100 Reviews

Reviews: 100
Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:24 pm
gsppcrocks10 says...

Hi people, I have a HUGE problem. I can't work on the story that I was writing. I've been carrying it around on a flash disk, and of course, (typical me), I didn't keep a backup on my computer. The file won't open, and I can't work on it until I can fix it. I tried the defragmentation tool on my computer, but it won't work. So until I can fix it, I'll either have to post a different story, or not post anything. I am extremely sorry to everyone, I had twenty pages worth (At least) of that story. Again, I'm really really sorry. :smt022
Just another quack spouting psychobabble.

"If I win, I'm a prodigy. If I lose, then I'm mad. That's the way history is written."

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:42 pm
Snoink says...

Wait, the file won't open from the flash disk? Can you see the file there/
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

100 Reviews

Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:11 am
gsppcrocks10 says...

yes, I can see the file, it just won't open. It says; The document name or path is not valid' I think I may have damaged the flash drive on accident. >.<

"If I win, I'm a prodigy. If I lose, then I'm mad. That's the way history is written."

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:46 am
Snoink says...

What if you upload it here? Like, try to upload it on YWS really quick and then download it.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Random avatar

Reviews: 10
Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:54 pm
TheWordsmith says...

You didn't, like, install a new writing tool (like OpenOffice or Microsoft Word) did you? Or have you surfed the web a lot lately?

If you've surfed a lot, you may have caught a bug. Anything else weird going on with your computer?
Bad spellars of the world, untie! - T-shirt

Join iSpy! Click here!

Random avatar

Reviews: 10
Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:12 pm
TheWordsmith says...

I just asked a computer expert and he said to use a recovery tool- maybe Norton's has one?- that will allow you to see all the sections of the file. The problem could be that the sections are scrambled, making it more difficult to access the file.

You probably know this by now, but always always always keep at least two copies of your file, one that you work on day-to-day, and one backup. Two backups is better, and three backups that you rotate regularly is better than that. This should help you avoid this problem again.

Hope this helps.
Bad spellars of the world, untie! - T-shirt

Join iSpy! Click here!

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:49 am
shadowed_mist says...

Did you press 'eject' when you pulled it out? Sometimes that destroys the file.
There are only two keys to a good life: the key to happiness, and the key to the house

-Marie Wingbane

100 Reviews

Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:59 pm
gsppcrocks10 says...

Thanks for all your help guys, I got my file back! *cheer* :D I'll work on it as much as I can, but It'll probably be a while before I post more, because I've been REALLY busy.

Prometheus, thief of light, giver of light, bound by the gods, must have been a book.
— Mark Z. Danielewski, House of Leaves