z

Young Writers Society

The Patokafus Trilogy. Check this out!

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:30 pm
Meep says...

Did you make the website? If so, you've got some serious web-design potential. I wish I was that good when I was thirteen. That being said, there are some things you might want to fix - the pixelation, the glow and the color scheme (anything on black is hard on the eyes). You might want to mosey on over to the W3C for some handy web-design know-how.

Uhm, I know that wasn't what the thread was about, but ... yeah.

Back on topic; I'm not sure self publishing really counts, you know? It's published, but not through the same (grueling) process that people published by, say, RandomHouse or Scholastic (or any other "real" publishing house) go through.
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:03 am
Alteran says...

Self Publication absolutely counts. The author takes on not only the role of writer, but of publisher, printer, publicist, editor, advertiser. They do everything. Including footing the bill for all of it.

Now, this was done through a vanity publisher, so It's a little different. It helps save because the author doesn't have to foot the entire bill, but they have to advertise and market on their own for the most part.

It's nifty. I wish you the best of luck.
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

Reviews: 3
Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:45 pm
Ashley Domenic Augustine says...

Meep wrote:Did you make the website? If so, you've got some serious web-design potential. I wish I was that good when I was thirteen. That being said, there are some things you might want to fix - the pixelation, the glow and the color scheme (anything on black is hard on the eyes). You might want to mosey on over to the W3C for some handy web-design know-how.

Uhm, I know that wasn't what the thread was about, but ... yeah.

Back on topic; I'm not sure self publishing really counts, you know? It's published, but not through the same (grueling) process that people published by, say, RandomHouse or Scholastic (or any other "real" publishing house) go through.

Yes I made my website all by myself.
Self publishing does count!
Like what Adam said I take on the role of the Author, Publisher and promoter.
I am like a special Author that does most of the work e.g promoting my book.
I think it is a better deal to self publish rather then having an agent who may end up owning the copyright of my book. Which I can say I own all my book rights!
If you are thinking of doing it I highly recommend It!!!
If not YOU MUST GET A REALLY BRILLIANT AGENT!!!
People fear what they can't understand and harm what they fear.

118 Reviews

Reviews: 118
Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:47 pm
myfreindsavamp says...

I think I have some one who's a recent author who will go over my book and hopefully point me in the right direction. I hope so. If not I'll go through the hard ships.
We've all been broken in some way. It's just how we express it that makes us dffrent form eachother.

“This precious book of love, this unbound lover,
To beautify him only lacks a cover.”
~William Shakespeare, The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:44 pm
JFW1415 says...

Adam_Atlantian wrote:Self Publication absolutely counts. The author takes on not only the role of writer, but of publisher, printer, publicist, editor, advertiser. They do everything. Including footing the bill for all of it.

Now, this was done through a vanity publisher, so It's a little different. It helps save because the author doesn't have to foot the entire bill, but they have to advertise and market on their own for the most part.

Yes, but if I wanted, I could self-publish a book saying 'I love Barbie!!!' over and over. Not saying that that's what you did, or that yours is bad - I'm just saying that self-publishing can easily be torn apart because you don't have to deal with an agent saying 'no one cares if you like Barbie!!!'

And I kind of doubt you're the youngest published, since that was self-published. I don't think anyone knows who's the youngest self-published, 'cause sometimes only family buys it to be nice.

Now I have to look up vanity publishing, though. Sounds interesting!

Looks like you have lots of dedication. If you're doing this by age 13, I can't wait to see what you'll be doing by age 30.

You should think about putting some stuff up here - maybe just short stories that you don't really care about. We can all stand to get a little better, si? ;)

PM me for anything, and good luck!

~JFW1415

Reviews: 3
Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:45 pm
Ashley Domenic Augustine says...

Anybody interested please be free to visit my site.
Thankyou! :D

Ashley Domenic Augustine wrote:
Ashley Domenic Augustine wrote:Anybody interested please be free to visit my site.
Thankyou! :D

Please note that I am opened to all types of criticism GOOD OR BAD thank you for reading.
BUT NO BULLYING!
ALSO there is no point putting my works down to the lowest level because you all have not read the whole BOOK!

Thank you for reading.
:D
People fear what they can't understand and harm what they fear.

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:45 am
Threnody says...

Wow. Who did you get to publish this?

*Cough cough cough*

It's kind of cliched...

Peace~
Forever Threnody
“One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes”
~ The Little Prince~

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:05 am
Master_Yoda says...

Hey Ashley,

I don't think I've met you here before. Anyway, it's nice to make your acquaintance.

Merely that you finished a book at 14 should make you proud. Not to mention publishing it. Few here have done this, so kudos.

As to what I actually think given the first chapter, I'd have to say that it didn't strike me as anything overly special. In fact, a large part of what detracted from my enjoyment of the book was the incorrect use of grammar to achieve emotion. You would not have to use two exclamation marks if your dialogue was emotive enough in and of itself. Nor would you have to stress words by capitalizing them and repeating letters.

Also, I would suggest trying to describe emotion more vividly and showing us the scene rather than telling it to us.

If you would like a little bit of help critiquing the story, drop it in the fantasy forum, and send me a PM, I'm sure you'll get a whole lot more help. :)

Never let anyone's criticisms get you down. Every writer starts somewhere, and if you put your mind to it, one day you might even be a master of the art. :D

Good luck with the sales!

EDIT: I just realized this thread was pretty old. Well if you see this anyway, good luck.
#TNT

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
-- Robert Frost

I review your reviews: viewtopic.php?f=188&t=94522

He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how.
— Fredrich Nietzche (Philosopher)