z

Young Writers Society

London is being bombed at this moment

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:44 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

talked to Jamie again...everything seems okay now. We both cried a bit. He's still not sure if anyone he knows is hurt.

and kilty to go along with you and mesh...they guy was way out of line...I saw him on tv. I was too worried at the time to be pissed. It's like saying that American's deserved what happened at the Twin Towers.

just makes me shake my head at human kind.

CL
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

65 Reviews

Reviews: 65
Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:40 am
Midnight says...

London WAS READY! how over the last four years the intelligene services have stopped many plots in London that have been discovered. This was a failure of intelligence but it is not that suprising considering our free society. It's impossible to check everybody as we don't live in a police state and consequently althought it can be helped by 'eternal vigilance' it's very difficult to stop someone leaving a package on a bus or on the tube (subway for you)

Qi, not really in fact it shows that what we have done to fight terroism isn't working and a new tact needs to be tried. If anything it alienates us from the American position further because with all we've done to help we have had no gain just more terror and deep dark destruction.

Crysi, no it was almost difenately done to coincide with the G8 summit being in Gleneagles.

kitty, yeah that is out of line.

Brad, you're sputtering nonsense. London is used to it, you forget we've had the blitz. idiot. No-one ever thought London was above it which is why we've been on the highest terroist alert for the last two years. Ohmygod lets go and have a competition about whether america or britain has had more terroist attacks. Idiot.

[Edited for content - Crysi]
available

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:45 am
Elelel says...

Ahh, you have felt the cold hand of terrorism. And can now better understand the actions taken by the united states in recent months and years. not that you will agree, but it makes things a bit clearer im sure.

Right. I live in Australia. Nice place; lots of kangaroos and people running around saying "put another shrimp on the barbie". And I'd like to know what made you think that. Do you remember the Bali Bombings? Yeah, well more Australians died there than any other country (no one I know personally, thank God). That didn't make me see things the American way at all. Not in the slightest. Because I was under the impression that the war in Iraq was started over non-existant weapons of mass destruction (and how non-existant weapons can cause mass destruction is beyond me) and Saddam being a not very nice person. Not over terrorism. Afganastan ... sure. But I'd just like you to know, that that didn't make me understand the need for more people to die at all.

And I feel throughaly patronised (even though I'm not English, we are still in the commonwealth and you just seemed to be including everyone in that).
Sorry if you didn't mean it that way, but that's te way I took it, so that's the way I reacted to it.

Ahem.
Anyway, I'm glad none of your friends or reletives have been hurt Midnight, and I'm glad your boyfriend's OK CL. I was worried when I heard about it all, it was ... scary. You don't think these things have happened. My brother (who has a TV in his room so he can watch the cricket late at night) was watching the cricket (it happened in the evening here ... if that makes sense) and saw heaps of news flashes and stuff ... he told me the latest fatality count was 52. Not sure if that's correct, but that's what I've heard.
And I'm disgusted by the guy who said that England deserved it if they weren't prepared. That's so ... pigish!!! So according to him, it's OK for America to get bombed too, because if it happened they weren't ready for it ... right. Makes sense.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:45 am
Crysi says...

Midnight, STOP IT NOW. We're not making this into a debate about whether London was ready or not.

We've given our condolences, now be a good sport about it and chill. We're not accusing anyone. We're sympathizing. Believe it or not, Americans DO know how it feels.
Love and Light

65 Reviews

Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:15 am
Midnight says...

I'm not Brad made it a debate. I never started accusing Americans as a whole. I accused Brad who was being a bastard about it. Brad never gave his condolesences. Look people in my city have died I can be angry I don't have to be a 'good sport'.

Obviously I was also reacting to Kitty's statement.

I accept the support of Americans but I can be angry with people like Brad.

I accept I shouldn't have sworn perhaps, I just went to the doctors and I was going to come back and change it. I feel abit woozy in fact after a hepititus A jab.
available

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176
Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:25 am
Muse says...

ok, this has changed a lot since i was last here. It doesn't matter where you are from, everyone has been effected by terrorism so there's no point competing about it! Stop arguing when there are hundreds injured, and many dead, it's pointless! What's important is to be glad none of your close friends or family have been hurt, and to keep your thoughts with the people who have lost their loved ones. Acts of terrorism don't just effect the place, they effect the whole world so there is no point arguing about it!
"Sometimes we see a cloud that's dragonish,
A vapour sometimes like a bear or lion,
A towered citadel, a pendant rock,
A forked mountain, or blue promontory,
With trees upon't that nod unto the world,And mock our eyes with air.."

65 Reviews

Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:44 am
Midnight says...

I didn't start the argument Brad did. Fine end of.

Although I do think that actually when things like this have happened is important to argue and consider ways of dealing and moving forward with the situation. But then I suppose that's me and I would like to be a politician or involved in international relations so there you go.
available

221 Reviews

Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:52 am
Elelel says...

Yeah, it's important ... to a degree. The London thing really shocked and scared me and I live on the other side of the world.

Midnight, STOP IT NOW. We're not making this into a debate about whether London was ready or not.

We've given our condolences, now be a good sport about it and chill. We're not accusing anyone. We're sympathizing. Believe it or not, Americans DO know how it feels.

People were only annoyed at one person said ... who happened to be American. I don't think all Americans are ... like that. If you judged all Aussies by our Prime Minister, you'd think we are all weasly, toadying gits with huge eyebrows and a baldspot. So, when I commented about that, I was refferring to that one guy. Not everyone.
--Music and Lyrics

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:32 pm
Incandescence says...

The blitzkrieg...who was it that helped you out of that again?

Enough said about that. Regardless of whether or not "who has the most" terrorist attacks, as neither side wants to win that debate. All I was saying is that you, Midnight, in previous debates, have said that countries hate America like no other country. Britain is loved so much, by your own argument, that you suffer more attacks than we do.

There's nothing like a contradictory debate plan.
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:51 am
Rei says...

You're just an arrogant prick, Brad, and a perfect example of why so many people hate America. So what if America helped in WW2? Remember, America didn't join the war until after Pearl Harbour was attacked. When you think of it that way, it was a call to save your own butts, although a perfectly legitamate one. While I can't ignore America's role in ending WW2, there is no way I cannot look at it as the noble act you seem to think it was. And please, no more debating. Debates don't make anything better.

Sorry about that. Just had to get it out of the way. Now I'd like to offer my sympathy to those who lost people, and to the people who were hurt in the explosions. I think this is just more proof that our response to the attacks have been wrong. It's easy to forget that these people are human, too. These terrorists are sending us powerful messages. We seem content to ingore why they are attacking us, and just increase security.

All buidling bigger walls will do is cause the enemy to build bigger weapons. It doesn't solve the problem. Right now a local union in which some of the workers do garbage collection and run swimming pools is on the verge of a strike. I don't know the details, but basically both sides seem pretty much unwilling to bugde, letting anger and the desire to win control the discussion, rather than preventing a strike and solving the problems. When they asks a seven-year-old girl who will be missing out on swimming lessons if a strike occurs what her teachers tells her to do when there is a problem she said, "Calm down, talk it out, and find a solution."

Obviously there are difference between this situation and the terrorism issue, but that girl's message to the union workers is still relavant. While we are talking amongst ourselves, there doesn't seem to be any attempt to even begin trying to talk to the "bad guys." All we want to do is fight more, and toss around words like evil, or think that maybe giving them money will make it all better, while forgetting the fact that these terrorists are human too. Most of them just don't know any other way. That doesn't make it right. We do know better ways. So why can't we try using them?
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

221 Reviews

Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:32 am
Elelel says...

Reichieru wrote:You're just an arrogant prick, Brad, and a perfect example of why so many people hate America. So what if America helped in WW2? Remember, America didn't join the war until after Pearl Harbour was attacked. When you think of it that way, it was a call to save your own butts, although a perfectly legitamate one. While I can't ignore America's role in ending WW2, there is no way I cannot look at it as the noble act you seem to think it was. And please, no more debating. Debates don't make anything better.

*sighs longingly and stares at Rei's post* Oh, how I wish I had the guts to swear at people in debates.
--Music and Lyrics

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:57 am
Incandescence says...

You're just an arrogant prick, Brad, and a perfect example of why so many people hate America. So what if America helped in WW2? Remember, America didn't join the war until after Pearl Harbour was attacked. When you think of it that way, it was a call to save your own butts, although a perfectly legitamate one. While I can't ignore America's role in ending WW2, there is no way I cannot look at it as the noble act you seem to think it was. And please, no more debating. Debates don't make anything better.

Rei, America was in no imminent danger when we entered World War 2, as you said. Planes were not circling our island and bombing our people. We entered the war because England and France (the last two bastions of pseudo-capitalist societies in Europe) were going under and, as they were the last two, we felt an obligation to keep like-minded countries alive. Regardless, we were in no danger.

You're wrong as well on the count that America didn't enter the war until after Pearl Harbor. Long before that, America had been supplying artillery, weapons, planes, etc. to European countries FOR FREE. They still have not repaid us for those.

When they asks a seven-year-old girl who will be missing out on swimming lessons if a strike occurs what her teachers tells her to do when there is a problem she said, "Calm down, talk it out, and find a solution."

How touching; unfortunately, Rei, your dire lack of minimal knowledge in economics is blatant. Strikes are not "talked out," and since when have we determined 7-year old girls are the best source for commentary on foreign policy?

Obviously there are difference between this situation and the terrorism issue, but that girl's message to the union workers is still relavant. While we are talking amongst ourselves, there doesn't seem to be any attempt to even begin trying to talk to the "bad guys." All we want to do is fight more, and toss around words like evil, or think that maybe giving them money will make it all better, while forgetting the fact that these terrorists are human too. Most of them just don't know any other way. That doesn't make it right. We do know better ways. So why can't we try using them?

Well, we are. Since certain left-leaning politicians do not want to see a "reform" in their country, or, what most call a "imperialist sweep," we are doing the best we can. Saying "We must talk about our differences," at this point, is an escapist route. We did talk - Saddam did not respond, al Qaeda responded with threats.

I'm tempted to say that claiming "We must peacefully talk out our differences" is reactionary, as opposed to beneficial. You're just saying something to go against what you think doesn't work, without fully considering all of the options available.
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:34 am
Crysi says...

Éloeré wrote:*sighs longingly and stares at Rei's post* Oh, how I wish I had the guts to swear at people in debates.

Firstly, swearing in excess is not tolerated in the Lounge area. Secondly, THIS IS NOT A DEBATE.

I am locking this thread because people can't seem to get along here. If you'd like to debate about it, start another thread in the Debate section.
Love and Light

I have writer's block. I can't write. It is the will of the gods. Now, I must alphabetize my spice rack.
— Neil Gaiman