z

Young Writers Society

If I, would you?

What book would you get? (these are not the title names, thank goodness)

Grammar
6%
Aspects on Creative writing
29%
Both
59%
Neither
6%

Total votes : 17

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:24 am
Snoink says...

Okay, before I even joined YWS, when I was still on TYWC, I noticed that writers kept making the same mistakes over and over again. And, of course, I was repeating myself over and over again. Anyway, after a while I got fed up and started on a super secret project that consisted of articles about almost all the characteristics of creative writing. Anyway, I'm about halfway done, but it looks like the book will be split into two parts. One will be for grammar, the other will be the other aspects of creative writing. All of this information is put out in an accessible layout, etc. If I were to publish this, would you buy the/se book/s?
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

493 Reviews

Reviews: 493
Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:37 am
Misty says...

nah. I know enough about grammar and creative writing-I specialize in both. But I urge you to continue-and I would definately pick it up off the shelf and leaf through it, before putting it down and exchanging it for a Star Wars novel with Anakin on the cover.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:45 am
Areida says...

Hee hee. That reminds me of that song in Singin' In the Rain...

But yes. I'd buy both.

A writer never stops learning his craft.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

Random avatar

Reviews: 32
Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:15 am
J. Wilder says...

I wouldn't. I very rarely buy books, and when I do they're always fiction. I've never read a book about writing. I sort of want to, and I probably will at some point, but I wouldn't buy one, I'd just take it out from the library or something, so it's free. I wouldn't read the grammar one, though. As far as I know I don't make a lot of grammatical errors in my writing except when I mean to. (Maybe I do and I just don't know it, but I don't think so.)

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:27 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

I would for reference as I used to be called affectionatly by friends "The Worlds Worst Grammer Girl". I've gotten better but I certainly would pick up a copy. One never stops learning, one can never stop improving. I actually think its kind of cool that you are doing this.

I have this little project I'm working on called the Color Dictionary. Where I have say the color blue and after that have all the indefiable colors of blue, one day it's be up on the internet or something of that nature.

good luck with the book.

cheers CL
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:29 am
Emma says...

I would pick it up, as long as it is not too expensive and not it hard back! Great idea and you should finish it! :D

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:52 am
Elelel says...

I don't know. I've never bought a writing book, but that's because I've always been to embarressed to ask mum if I could get one because she'd probably laugh or something. I'd want the grammer book, if it were written in a way that would keep me interested and not make me feel like I was listening to some dry old droning voice. I'm not big on non-fiction books as a whole. I don't mind finding stuff out, it's just that I never seem to be able to read a non-fiction book unless there's a motive (like if I don't find out about soemthing and write an essay on it I'm is BIG trouble at school). So yeah, there you go.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:38 pm
dreaming_mouse says...

I wouldn't, I like writing because it's...god knows what :roll: I know I suck at it but I don't want to bore it by having to learn about how to write and what to write. The only one I've considered buying is the Writer's and Artist's Handbook

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:09 am
Snoink says...

:P

Reading those kind of books always gets rid of my writer's block problems. Lord knows, I'm good at grammar and the like. But reading something about writing can be strangely therapeutical.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

I have to ask. Does every question or statement regarding the quote generator end up in the quote generator?
— WeepingWisteria