z

Young Writers Society

Michelangelo's paintings depict human organs?

Random avatar

Reviews: 40
Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:29 pm
Kilty says...

I read a little while ago that doctors have closely examined Michelangelo's paintings on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, and his painting "The Creation of Adam," and they think that he subliminally depicted human organs. There was like a lung, heart and bronchial tube or something. I dunno, I just thought it was kind of strange that they would waste their time researching that. There is even a book written about it. My opinion? The doctors who think this know too much about human anatomy, and see things in Michelangelo's work that could slightly resemble, I dunno, a spleen? and take it as Michelangelo subliminally displaying his knowledge of the human anotomy. Michelangelo was an artist, not a doctor.

Anyway, I still think it is an interesting concept.

Reviews: 0
Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:13 am
Harkness says...

The two careers aren't mutually exclusive. Especially then. Da Vinci studied human anatomy as well art and mechanics. For all we know, short of cracking the statue open, he could have a complete set of internal organs in there for the old statue.

Random avatar

Reviews: 40
Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:13 am
Kilty says...

True. But I do think that the imaginations of the doctors were working overtime. Michelangelo was had his vision of God and other Angelic Beings, and I don't see why he would incorporate the human anatomy into that kind of work.

I wouldn't think "impossible" was even in your vocabulary.
— Sharpay Evans, High School Musical