z

Young Writers Society

Hurricane Gustav

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:59 pm
Nate says...

The news is not picking up on Gustav quite yet (everyone is talking politics...), but keep in mind that this is potentially a very serious storm. It already killed 22 people in Haiti, and I'm not sure how many in Jamaica. It's also set to hit western Cuba before entering the Gulf of Mexico. Right now, the best-case scenario is that it only hits the United States as a category three.

From Weather Nerd
Gustav a hurricane
by Brendan Loy

As of 2pm EDT, Gustav’s winds are up to 70 mph (from 65), and its pressure is down to 984 mb (from 988). The storm could become a hurricane “AT ANY TIME TODAY,” and could become a major hurricane before swiping western Cuba tomorrow. [UPDATE: It is now a hurricane, as of 3:15 PM EDT, with 75 mph winds.]

After it exits Cuba, all bets are off. Intensification in the Gulf to Category 4 or 5 status is very much in the mix — though, if that happens, it would probably then weaken somewhat before landfall.

The Houston Chronicle’s Eric Berger is hosting a live chat on Gustav right now. He has been repeatedly emphasizing the uncertainty surrounding the storm’s track, but, interestingly, when asked whether he thinks the storm is more likely to deviate east or west of the current forecast track, Berger said east is more likely.

I may have jumped the gun with my earlier post about a possible Texas landfall, at least in terms of the perceptions created by the headline. I was just trying to point to a possible trend in the models, but the fact is, the forecast remains extremely unsettled, and the models are all over the place. A Texas landfall is certainly possible, but Louisiana remains the prime target for now.

Keep your eye on it. This could be bad.

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:17 pm
Trident says...

Imagine if it hits New Orleans again. It would be a disaster. I know I wouldn't want to be living there right now.

And there are a lot of people (myself included I guess since I'm bringing it up) that have been discussing the political fallout to the RNC since it's likely going to hit on the first day of the convention, when both Bush and Cheney are expected to speak. Symbolism aside, they will have some serious problems keeping the attention of the media.
Perception is everything.

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:42 pm
WanaBeAuthor says...

Im sorry but, If New Orleans gets hit again, its there fault.

They shold leave as it is a very huricane active location. They should've packed there bags and left after Katrina
"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car"
Unknown.

Got YWS?

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:29 pm
Nate says...

Fortunately, Gustav seems to be tracking well to the west of New Orleans and right now is most likely to hit an area of the gulf coast that is one of the least populated. However, if it keeps moving further west, it could hit the Galveston/Houston area, which could be bad. It could also still directly hit New Orleans.

In any case, lets keep the RNC convention stuff out of it for now. It seems like it trivializes just how bad of a storm this could be, and conventions are meaningless anyhow.

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:40 pm
Incandescence says...

You know, everyone around me is being struck with the moral dilemma of hoping it hits someone else besides us, while for me of course this is no moral dilemma at all, since I spend my life not only hoping that existing hurricanes hit others besides me, but dreaming up future hurricanes in the hope that exactly that happens...

Seriously, though, I'll be ticked if it hits here after I decided to defer Boston for a year. On the other hand, of all the natural disasters, hurricanes are probably my favorite because they announce their arrival well in advance of their effects. Ah well.
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

Nothing is impossible, for the word itself says, 'I'm possible!'
— Audrey Hepburn