z

Young Writers Society

China unrest after scores of schools collapse in quake

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:20 pm
Gahks says...

BBC News reports today, 27th June, of the mounting unrest in China following the unprecedented destruction of many of the country's schools in the Szechuan earthquake. It has also documented attempts to undermine the efforts of angered parents who want a full inquiry into the disaster. Apparently, many of the buildings had not been built in accordance with proper construction codes.

Reports from Hong Kong, Paris and US media have told of police officers blocking roads to ruined schools in an effort to "maintain order" and prevent dozens of rallies from taking place, which were organised to condemn the government's failure to protect schoolchildren. Officers have also smashed monuments to the students, beaten protesting parents and driven away foreign journalists.

This will only take the shine off the welcomed assistance of the authorities in Beijing to send foreign aid to stricken areas.

More on this story here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/newsnight/paulmason/2008/06/chinas_quake_unrest.html
"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." William Faulkner.

Do you do poetry? Check out Poetry Inspiration over in Groups!

The day, which was one of the first of spring, cheered even me by the loveliness of its sunshine and the balminess of the air. I felt emotions of gentleness and pleasure, that had long appeared dead, revive within me. Half surprised by the novelty of these sensations, I allowed myself to be borne away by them, and forgetting my solitude and deformity, dared to be happy.
— Mary Shelley, Frankenstein