z

Young Writers Society

RIP: Tim Russert

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:41 am
Nate says...

For those who don't know, Tim Russert, host of Meet the Press and one of America's most prominent journalists, died from a heart attack earlier today.

From the Washington Post:
Tim Russert, the NBC commentator who revolutionized Sunday morning television and infused journalism with an unrelenting passion for politics, died of a heart attack yesterday.

Russert was recording a "Meet the Press" introduction in an NBC sound booth in Northwest Washington when he collapsed and was taken by ambulance, accompanied by his longtime producer Betsy Fischer, to Sibley Memorial Hospital, where he was pronounced dead soon afterward. He was 58.

The news swept the capital like a shock wave, with colleagues, rivals, President Bush and those vying to succeed him remembering Russert as a superb practitioner of political analysis and an irrepressible son of blue-collar Buffalo who, quite simply, loved the game. His influence was such that an appearance on the top-rated "Meet the Press" could boost or sink a candidate, and when he declared after midnight on May 6 that Barack Obama had wrapped up the Democratic nomination, that was treated as a news event in itself.

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:12 am
Teague says...

I was watching the Larry King special on this earlier.

Truly, a sad day for the newsmedia. So sudden and random. He wasn't that old, either.

Rest in Peace, Mr. Russert.

-:pirate3:
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:44 pm
Emerson says...

This made me sad. He was a great guy. My dad couldn't even believe it when I told him - he thought I was lying.

RIP, most certainly, and many prayers.
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:59 pm
Turntable Jack says...

Go Bills

And no, that is not spam. Tim Russert was a huge buffalo bills fan, as am I. On Sundays, he would end his show with a pro-bills statement, usually Go Bills. He was the perfect fan.

RIP :cry:

Maybe I should say something quote-worthy, like, I dunno... "You can only be happy if you decide to be happy?"
— Necromancer14