z

Young Writers Society

This is big and may be a solution to energy crisis

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Sat May 31, 2008 5:55 pm
deleted6 says...

A San Diego company said Wednesday that it could turn algae into oil, producing a green-colored crude yielding ultra-clean versions of gasoline and diesel without the downsides of biofuel production.

The year-old company, called Sapphire Energy, uses algae, sunlight, carbon dioxide and non-potable water to make "green crude" that it contends is chemically equivalent to the light, sweet crude oil that has been fetching more than $130 a barrel in New York futures trading.

Chief Executive Jason Pyle said that the company's green crude could be processed in existing oil refineries and that the resulting fuels could power existing cars and trucks just as today's more polluting versions of gasoline and diesel do.

"What we're talking about is something that is radically different," Pyle said. "We really look at this as a paradigm change."

Sapphire's announcement is the latest development from companies and researchers focused on finding ways to cut harmful emissions from the nation's giant fleet of cars, trucks, trains and planes.

Sapphire's process would help curb the nation's reliance on imported crude and alleviate concerns about the world's dwindling supply of oil, Pyle said. And by using carbon dioxide spewed out by such things as coal plants, the production process would help remove harmful emissions from the atmosphere.

The green crude also would produce fewer pollutants in the refining process and fewer harmful emissions from vehicle tailpipes, Pyle said.

The company wouldn't give details about the production process or where its pilot project would be located. It expects to introduce its first fuels in three years and reach full commercial scale in five years.

More here

So what ya think? It's sure impressive and really would be very green. Always a postive and keeps the resource in circulation, it's not fossile fuels but it's still oil. It could work.
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Sat May 31, 2008 6:56 pm
gyrfalcon says...

If it works, that's awesome! But I'm a little skeptical, and probably will be until I see it working. Sounds interesting certainly, and probably worth keeping an eye on.
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:36 am
Icaruss says...

Algae are people too!
there are many problems in our times
but none of them are mine

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:53 pm
khfan890 says...

Algae are people too!

I hope you're kidding. No, I like this idea, if it would work. Undoubtedly, though, and I'm not sure if Icaruss is kidding or not, people will try to use some line of argument like that.
Death is no respecter of persons. Just felt like saying that.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:34 pm
JezzaP says...

Icaruss wrote:Algae are people too!

Erm... what?
Z'Arrow... :shock:

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:03 pm
Rei says...

In my opinion any fuel that comes from a renewable resource like plants and doesn't produce astham-causing gases is a good idea.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:30 pm
Icaruss says...

khfan890 wrote:
Algae are people too!

I hope you're kidding. No, I like this idea, if it would work. Undoubtedly, though, and I'm not sure if Icaruss is kidding or not, people will try to use some line of argument like that.

Of course I'm kidding, and I doubt that people would actually argue not using algae because they are "living things". I say tear the damn things apart, and power our cars.

The problem isn't finding other sources of energy though. Oil companies are influencial, they give a lot of money to a lot of people, they get people elected, and I doubt that any government would fund something like this in any significant manner.
there are many problems in our times
but none of them are mine

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:52 pm
Rei says...

You have a very good point Icaruss. Oil companies are huge. It is pretty sad how dependant we are on them. But I'm optomistic. In Toronto, even public transit is making the move to become more environmentally friendly. We have the subway and street cars, of course, which are electric, and more and more buses are hybrids. While they still need that fuel, they need less of it.

We are never going to create the kinds of changes we're talking about quickly. We have to take small steps. That is why David Suzuki is on TV telling people to hang dry their clothes and turn their air conditioners up by one degree. Besides, as gasoline gets more and more expensive, people are going to use their cars less and less and people will buy more locally produced products. One of these days, who knows, maybe the oil companies will actually shrink or shut down.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:18 pm
Leja says...

Ooh, I heard about this! However, organisations need to be very careful when declaring sweeping ways to reduce or eliminate dependency on oil. A while back, ethanol was being hailed as the new biofuel, something that would be the perfect solution to everything. Yet that led to an overproduction of corn and an underproduction of other necessary food crops (not to mention that while it burns pretty cleanly, it requires a ridiculous amount of gasoline in its production, something that's very counterproductive!)

*Initially*, this looks very cool and I hope we hear more about it.

I always prefer to believe the best of everybody; it saves so much trouble.
— Rudyard Kipling