z

Young Writers Society

Help me write a shopping list!!!

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:34 am
Heidigirl666 says...

I am off to the UK tomorrow for the first time in nearly a year (4 am start. I am going to die.) But anyway, I need to stock up on all the UK goodies I can get my hands on that you can't get here. Which is actually rather a lot of things. I need suggestions, particularly from all the Brits (or you know, anyone who knows what you get in a UK supermarket).

So far on my list is:

Tea. Lots and lots of tea.
Over-the-counter pharmacuticals. (Seriously, you can't get them here at all, and they're like ten times the price in the chemist's. What's that all about? :roll: )
Iced Gems.
Monster munch.
Wotsits
Flumps
Irn Bru
Crumpets
Rich tea biscuits
Pork Pies (There is a reason behind these. We don't just all really love pork pies. :wink: )
Bisto gravy grannules

...yes, it's mostly junk. But that's what you can't get here.

And there my ideas cease.

So, give me some suggestions! Essential english supplies to give us a) long term supplies (as per tea and pharmacuticals) and b) quick taste of the UK for another year (as per junk food).

Oooh, just writing this is giving me ideas. I just added the gravy granules. :wink:

Think of everything lovely and English, and tell me what they are. :D
Everywhere I go I'm asked if I think the university stifles writers. My opinion is that they don't stifle enough of them. There's many a bestseller that could have been prevented by a good teacher. ~Flannery O'Connor

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:10 am
chocoholic says...

I don't live in the UK (although I wish I did and I'm still trying to convince my parents that it's a better place to live than Australia), but there's this lolly shop I rarely ever go to with stuff from all over the world. In England there are chocolates called Minsterels, of which I will be bringing home bagfuls of when I go at the end of this year.

I've only seen them here once, but I don't know about where you live. Just a suggestion because they're sooooooooo good!!!
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:38 am
Jennafina says...

There are these gummy candies shaped like fried eggs that taste really yummy. My aunt sent me some from England two years ago, and I've never seen them in the U.S. I don't know the brand.
Jennafina's Love Your Body Already Dammit Campaign

forum353.html

(To find out what it really is, just click.)

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:51 am
Twit says...

I can't really suggest much, as I don't know what's common in the US. But all our marshmallows (you said you wanted Flumps?) are different - softer and sweeter.

Quick taste of the UK, um... If it was Scotland, I'd say beef and uber-strong gravy. Where about in England are you going to?
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:53 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Jennafina wrote:There are these gummy candies shaped like fried eggs that taste really yummy. My aunt sent me some from England two years ago, and I've never seen them in the U.S. I don't know the brand.

I think they're Haribos. But they're German, so I assume you'd be able to get those on the continent.

Don't forget Quavers, or McCoys - they're delish! Bourbon Creams and Custard Creams. You have to stock up on chocolate - Cadbury's and Galaxy, Mars Bars, Milky Ways, Smarties, Minstrels, Aeros, Magic Stars, all that shizzle. Don't forget the pick-and-mix counters, you can stock up on unhealthy (yet delicious) crap from there. Cornish pasties, by the very definition, are very English. As for pharmaceuticals, you can get a load of paracetamol and ibuprofen (the latter due to it's sugary taste and ease of swallowing - goes down much better than paracetamol), and Calpol, should you need to.

And that's about all I can think of right now. I'll come back if I think of anything else - enjoy your time back here!
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

344 Reviews

Reviews: 344
Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:10 pm
Eimear says...

Are you heading to Scotland or Ireland?

In Ireland we have our own brand of awesome crisps (potato chips to you) called Tato. They're super duper lovely. You can get Iron Brew (Scotland's number one fizzy drink) in the UK as well. Hmm, cadbury's chocolate?
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde.

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:58 pm
Heidigirl666 says...

Going to north of England actually.

Ooh, bourbons and custard creams. Definitely adding to the list.

Cadbury's chocolate is a no. Why would we want any when we have lovely swiss chocolate? :P

You do get most of the english chocolate bars here actually (bounties, milky ways and mars and snickers bars mostly.) Although I'm dying for a mint aero and a lion bar...

Cornish pasties would be nice...mmmm. If we're having pork pies, we'll have to have a few Ginsters pasties.

OMG, don't you get fried egg sweets in the US???? I'm horrified. :shock: But yes, haribo do them, so not necessary... :D
Everywhere I go I'm asked if I think the university stifles writers. My opinion is that they don't stifle enough of them. There's many a bestseller that could have been prevented by a good teacher. ~Flannery O'Connor

"You know, sometimes all you need is twenty seconds of just embarrassing bravery. And I promise you, something great will come of it."
— We Bought A Zoo