z

Young Writers Society

Gladiators!

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Sun May 04, 2008 11:08 am
Gahks says...

It's official and has been known for a while: GLADIATORS, the 90s show that captured millions, is making a comeback!

AMERICAN GLADIATORS and GLADIATORS AUSTRALIA have already been huge successes; now it's time for the Brits to get in on the act!

What do you think of the new gladiators and events? Do you have a fave? Which classic gladiator would you like to see take on the new ones, and in what events? Would you like to see an international version? Have you been to see the tapings?

Please, by all means discuss the American and Australian shows here as well; however, this thread will primarily be for the UK show.

Awooga!

Gahks

Links:
http://www.gladiatorszone.com (Fantastic fansite)
http://gladiators.sky.com (Official site for the UK revival)
http://www.nbc.com/American_Gladiators (Official site for the US revival)
http://au.tv.yahoo.com/b/gladiators (Official site for the AUS revival)
Last edited by Gahks on Sun May 04, 2008 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." William Faulkner.

Do you do poetry? Check out Poetry Inspiration over in Groups!

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sun May 04, 2008 4:43 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

I can't wait! They've been repeating the old ones on Challenge, and it's always nostalgic to go back and watch them (it's always fun to lol at the bad nineties hair and clothes :P). And it's starting next week! May 11th!! Can't wait.

Some of the Gladiators seems to have weird names, though - Battleaxe comes to mind (and they didn't do her any favours with that costume). But, yeah, s'gonna be great!

~Kyle
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Sun May 04, 2008 5:18 pm
Sureal says...

Wolf > all.
I wrote the above just for you.

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Sat May 10, 2008 3:23 pm
Gahks says...

GLADIATORS starts this Sunday, 11th May 2008, at 6PM! Be there!
"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." William Faulkner.

Do you do poetry? Check out Poetry Inspiration over in Groups!

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Sun May 11, 2008 1:29 pm
idle muse says...

Oooh, I remember that show! I'm so watching it.
Religion is the opium of the masses
- Karl Marx -
Democracy is the worst form of goverment, except for all the others that have been tried.
- Winston Churchill -

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Mon May 12, 2008 2:50 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Watched it. It was pretty good, though the arena all seemed a lot smaller and more closed-in than I was expecting. Not badly so, but weird. I like having the events over water - presumably safer, as well as making it look better. And I like the new Eliminator.

The gladiators themselves are generally a lot smaller, though I think that has more to do with the fact that they're not all drugged up to the ears like the first generation ones were.

Any favourite gladiators yet? Spartan seems to be the one to beat - he managed to knock contenders off in both Duel and Hit and Run. Oblivion is obviously this generation's Wolf (though some of the hard-man talk was, to be honest, embarrassing, to say the least). And I wouldn't like to meet either Panther or Battleaxe (what a name!) in a dark alley.

So, yeah, pretty good. Lived up to my expectations, even if it was different from them.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

Owning our story can be hard but not nearly as difficult as spending our lives running from it. Embracing our vulnerabilities is risky but not nearly as dangerous as giving up on love and belonging and joy—the experiences that make us the most vulnerable. Only when we are brave enough to explore the darkness will we discover the infinite power of our light.
— Brené Brown