6%
[undecided/other]
18%

Total votes : 34

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:21 pm
yoha_ahoy says...

Hey guys! I'm writing a research paper on the meaning of life and the New Age Movement. It would be greatly helpful if you could take this poll seriously because I would like to be able to use the results in my paper. Feel free to discuss this here, but if you would like to remain anonymous, that is fine as well. No guarantees if what you say will be used in my paper or not. You guys are so inspiring. :wink: I will put a time limit on this later when I know the due date of my paper. Thanks! :D

~Yoyo 8)

P.S. Oh yeah, and try to be honest and give your own opinion before being swayed by those below! ;) Thanks!
Last edited by yoha_ahoy on Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
@(^_^)@
Got YWS?

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:26 pm
Sureal says...

To produce more life. This has been the purpose of life for billions of years. We choose our partners based on the quality of children we think they will produce (which is why we want healthy-looking, well toned partners), our strongest urge is for sex (which is how we reproduce) and most people love their children more than anyone else.

Which one should I vote for? :? [undecided/other]?
I wrote the above just for you.

189 Reviews

Reviews: 189
Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:36 pm
[deleted1] says...

Life is an interesting thing. Life has many lives. A lot of living. A lot of growing up. A lot of a lot of things.

-Rick.

My philoshpoy on life.

XD.

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:51 pm
Medusa says...

I was tempted to put "one should not search for the meaning in life" since I am also a Zen Buddhist, and our motto is "live the moment as it comes".

However, I am also a Christian and a possible Muslim (still debating). I find that through my religions and heavy spirituality, I find the meaning of life is knowing who you are. What fulfills you? What is your purpose? Is it to create art? Heal people? Finding truth through monastic life? Perhaps.

So I choose the fulfilling option. Afterall, you are the only one in control of your life. Why not make it the best life you can have?
Alice: If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:04 am
JFW1415 says...

To love, to feel, to feel the joy in living.

I believe the point of life it to seek happiness. The little moments in life where you take a step back, breath in deep, and think 'wow. This is amazing.'

For me, this happens often. Coming to the barn in the morning and hearing the horses nicker to me. Galloping through the woods. Laughing with friends. Going on a walk. Seeing trees that are too real to be real. Writing something that I love. Reading something amazing.

There are so many tiny moments, and these are the things that I think are the point of life. Without them, I probably would have offed myself ages ago. I don't think it's possible to live without them; they're too important in our lives. (Well, mine at least.)

And love...well, everyone's seeking it, right? Friendship, family, partners. Also, isn't there the whole study that babies who aren't hugged die or something? *Shrug* Something like that. We need love; we need physical contact. Do you know how good a hug feels when you've gone years without one? (Again, one of those little moments that mean so much.)

So yeah, that's my view. Good luck on your paper!

~JFW1415

Reviews: 3
Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:42 am
dancingsprite says...

I'm glad I voted before I looked at these posts. You guys are making me bounce back and forth like a ping pong ball.

I have recently been studying great Russian authors. I like how Leo Tolstoy puts the purpose of life in one of his more unknown works,

"Remember then: there is only one time that is important -- Now! It is the most important time because it is the only time when we have any power. The most necessary man is he with whom you are, for no man knows whether he will ever have dealings with any one else: and the most important affair is, to do him good, because, for that purpose alone was man sent to this life!" --Taken from Walk in the Light and Twenty-Three Tales - Three Questions

387 Reviews

Fri May 02, 2008 5:53 pm
yoha_ahoy says...

Bumping this. My deadline is coming soon. ;)

~Yoyo 8)
@(^_^)@
Got YWS?

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Sat May 03, 2008 2:03 am
Rei says...

Searching for the meaning of life and stuff like that just gives me a headache.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Sat May 03, 2008 2:05 am
Manny says...

The meaning of life is to screw everything up for those around you and the generations to come. We've been doing good so far. Really, though, I have no clue. Make our own meanings, I guess?

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Sat May 03, 2008 3:10 pm
pegasi_quill says...

There are so mnay differnet opinions on that topic.

Uh, at times like this I don't like being an atheist. Somehow the thought of my body not functioning any more, by personality and being dying and my remains being devoured by bugs is not that reassuring.

Almost makes me believe in an afterlife.
~Memory is a child walking along a seashore. You can never tell what small pebble it will pick up and store away among its treasured things~

Away until August 31st (possibly longer)

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat May 03, 2008 3:29 pm
Emerson says...

Hahha, No, in all seriousness. I was surprised someone hadn't said that before. I'm a bit of an "all of the above". Life is to live, to find knowledge, to find happiness, to find love, to experience, to grow, to teach others, to reproduce, continue ones self, leave a good mark. All of which, for me, pertain at least a little bit to God. Yes! I am a religious type. I live for God. But then, perhaps regrettably, I'm not overly enthusiastic about living for God. I live for God, but it doesn't consume my whole life? I do things for God/through his power. I'm not sure that makes sense, but yes! That is my answer.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Sat May 03, 2008 7:21 pm
SuicideKing says...

Simply to live, of course.
“Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth, follow only beauty, and obey only love.”

--Kahlil Gibran

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Sat May 03, 2008 8:27 pm
Teague says...

To procreate. ;)

No, really. The whole purpose of life is to perpetuate the species.

-:pirate3:
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

387 Reviews

Thu May 08, 2008 2:02 am
yoha_ahoy says...

My deadline is up! And with my polling done at school and here it puts my tab at exactly 100 people. Thanks for your help if you voted! PM me if you want to read my paper on it. ;)

~Yoyo 8)
@(^_^)@
Got YWS?

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Thu May 08, 2008 2:02 am
Via says...

*locked at authors request*
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how.
— Fredrich Nietzche (Philosopher)