z

Young Writers Society

Nate's Hypothetical Situation #1

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:06 am
Nate says...

I'm gonna try starting a topic every now and then about hypothetical situations concerning writing... lets see how it goes :)

For years, you've been on the internet and have posted all your works and writings on sites ranging from YWS to writing.com, and finally someone out there in the publishing world has noticed your work, and not only have they noticed it, but to want to pay for it too. Yet because they want to see a return on what they publish, and you can't get a good return on stuff that is available for free, they want you to remove everything you have written on the net in regards to your stories and poems. Also, they make no promise that all of it will be published, but if you don't do it, they won't give you a publishing contract and consequently no money. Also, as part of the contract, you agree that any future work you produce is their property.

So would you do it? Exchange your artisitic freedom for a publishing deal? Also, where would you draw the line? Say fifty dollars, or fifty thousand dollars? Or whatever amount?

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:14 pm
Sam says...

I wouldn't go for it. Risking my writing for something that could possibly be a scam...nuh uh.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:25 pm
Elizabeth says...

If something came up where I actually needed the money then I wouldn't mind trading my sould for not even half a million. But then again I can always make that much working for 5 years at a McDonalds....

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:48 pm
Nai says...

I wouldn't do it. I value my writing, when I write something, it comes from weeks, if not months of thought and note taking. When I write something, it's almost a part of me, it's a creation that I wouldn't want anyone else to claim.

493 Reviews

Reviews: 493
Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:07 pm
Misty says...

I wouldn't do it. My uncle has connections with a publisher that's FOR SURE, so why would I risk anything less than actual publishing. Plus, I wouldn't sell my writing to one particular company. No way.

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:26 pm
dreaming_mouse says...

I'd research the company first. If it's the real deal then I probably would go for it, and if I managed to get published I would hope to keep getting published by them sort of a loyalty thing. But if I found out they ain't a legit company then I wouldn't go for it, I'm not risking my stuff for something I'm going to regret.

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:34 pm
niteowl says...

For a billion dollars, I'd consider it. :P

No seriously, I probably wouldn't do it. I love my poems too much.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:52 am
Galatea says...

Never. It's a) too risky and b) sounds like a con. They can't have my poetry if I don't get paid first.
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:36 am
Duskglimmer says...

I'd research the company first... if everything checked out, then I'd strongly consider it, depending on just how much money we were talking about. Money's sort of tight and I could always use a nice chunk of cash to put into savings...
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:52 am
Crysi says...

I wouldn't do it. I write for myself first, publishers second. And I hate people controlling me, so it wouldn't end well.
Love and Light

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:05 am
Tara says...

I wouldn't even give it a thought before saying no. First, you don't even know that these people are publishers. Second, you want controll of your work, and that's an invasion of your free will. Third, it just sounds fishy, and doesn't sound like a good deal.
"You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot farther with a smile and a gun." -Al Capone

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:38 pm
marching_gurl89 says...

Me to. Plus I smell a scam here. Plus I want the freedom to publish my work where I want to.
~*~Peace, Love, and Protesters~*~
I'm not off beat!I'm marching to the beat of my own drum
I rock my socks
Hippielicious the bold new flavor from caroline
JFK BLOWN AWAY WHAT ELSE DO I HAVE TO SAY!!!!!!!

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:21 am
Meshalidar says...

I'd definately do it!

Cause my writing is worth nothing. So it's not going to happen.
Seclusion among the ferns of what seems like a mystical forest by flourishing elms and and oaks. Looking up at twilight's dwellings up above, where the stars sit on their perches to await dawn... That lunar crescent forever hangs there, just another star that seems so much closer, half covered by what you sit upon right then. That is a true paradise. Just to let yourself escape to those divine heavens...

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:28 am
BlueStone says...

I can't answer that question... Mainly because contracts can vary greatly. Control of your writing? Are you kidding? Writing is an act of random thoughts put on a 2D scale, why would you try to control such a thing? If you do get stuck with publishers, and rights and all, just use logic and what feels right to you. If you don't like that fact of so much control in your writing, then don't accept the offer (pull your manuscript and go to someone else). If you are okay with the timely manner of certain contracts, then be my guest. Money should not be of any concern, as writing is your first priority. I understand that whether being a writer has difficulties in finacial areas, but if you used logic you wouldn't be in the situation would you? :? Anyways, I might have or not answered the question... :( It tired and frustrated me to keep my thoughts on publishing and being a writer to myself, be grateful I'm in a good mood? :? People these days are not clicking with me, whether it's them or me. :|

-BS

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:51 am
Elelel says...

Erm ... no. Deffinately no. I don't get on with people who try to control me, same as Crysi, and I'd probably chuck a mental if they tried to use that contract to prevent me furthering my career and get myself sued for murder by ball point pen. So, on that basis, no. On any other basis ... no.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

ask not what u can do for ur bones but of what ur bones can do for u
— Carina