What do you usually do when you need a break from writing?

5 posts
Random avatar
Gender None specified
Points 200
Reviews 0
Hey everyone!

I'm curious about what other writers do when they need a break from writing. Sometimes I can stare at the same paragraph for way too long and realize that forcing myself to continue isn't helping much.

For me, taking a short break and playing a simple game, listening to music, or just going for a walk can help reset my mind. I usually come back with a clearer idea of what I want to change.

What about you? Do you play games, listen to music, read something, watch a movie, go outside, or do something completely unrelated to writing?

I'd love to hear what everyone does when they need to step away from a story for a while.




User avatar
Gender None specified
Points 200
Reviews 0
when i need a break from writing i will usually take a walk or read a different book.




User avatar
Gender Male
Points 390
Reviews 4
Got two kids, a wife and a mortgage.

Writing is the break :smt101




Random avatar
Gender None specified
Points 200
Reviews 0
I usually find that stepping away completely works best. A walk, some music, or doing something unrelated for a while often helps me come back with fresh ideas and a clearer perspective. Sometimes the solution appears once you stop actively looking for it!




User avatar
Gender Nonbinary
Points 1142
Reviews 30
Finding a book to read, turning on music, baking, trying to draw a character/setting/prop in the story. Or writing a funny chapter about the characters, that truthfully, never makes sense by the end of the day, but it helps get my brain juices flowing
"Don’t set yourself on fire just to keep others warm." Penny Reid

They/Them



'They are afraid of nothing,' I grumbled, watching their approach through the window. 'Together, they would brave Satan and all his legions.'
— Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights