z

Young Writers Society

What did you get for Christmas/Other Holiday?

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:57 pm
Fishr says...

Coal. ;)

I've been naughty. :wink:
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

381 Reviews

Reviews: 381
Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:46 pm
Fand says...

A digital camera, an iPod Nano, a really horrible shirt, my Spring Awakening soundtrack (wheee!), a tin of mints labeled with a picture of Lucille Ball and the words "Lucy's Predic-a-Mints" (courtesy of my mother, hehe), a new yoga mat, and three books. Good haul!
Bitter Charlie :: Shady Grove, CA :: FreeRice (162,000/1,000,000)

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:23 pm
Esmé says...

FOur books (woo hoo), 2 sweaters and 2 pairs of jeans (the ones that I wanted), a teddy bear LOL (it's cute), an angel, eeh pj's (great-grandmother here)and cash. Oh, and loads of sweets - my stomach hurts already =)

Random avatar

Reviews: 82
Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:25 pm
misspriss says...

An MP3 Player, Money, Silk PJ's (Yay!), and a matching roller suitcase and carry-on. :-) I'm happy.

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:08 pm
Chandni says...

Same here Claud and Writeme :)

At my mom's family I got :

-Candles
-Alarm Clock
-A Gift Card from this cocky place :p
-A Cool Shirt
-A Necklace
-JOSH GROBAN LIVE CD :D

At my dad's family I got :

-Another Shirt
-A Bracelet
-A photograph thingy, forgot the name in english (erhmm fotolijst?)
-Another Bracelet
-Earrings
-Another Necklace

I was happy this year lol ! :D
I should not keep on, I'll just creep on creepin'on.

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:07 pm
Fishr says...

Heh, well my some of my gifts aren't the ordinary type but those who have gotten to know me on this site would probably expect nothing less. ;)

I got quite a few books on the American Revolution, including a really nice documentry on the Boston Massacre. The reading is a bit tricky but overall it seems pretty good.

Then I got, since I collect coins, a 1750 George II. It's really neat and absolutely blows my mind away that coins from colonial American are still in existance. This one is by far the oldest I own, and for being well over 250 years old, it's in outstanding condition!

And because I wanted to give it a go, I got grave rubbing paper and the like. I want to rub my great, great, great grandfather's stone, who served in the Civil War, and then frame it. His stone is in great condition, so the rubbbing shouldn't damage it.

In additon to the rubbing paper and so forth, I got a book on gravestone art or in other words, plates of someone else's rubbings. It's really neat, and in addition to that, I got a book of famous epitaphs (sp) or inscriptions on the stones by the Puritans or famous Americans, more noteably seen in the Revolution.

So all that was right up my ally, LOL!

BUT! The most outstanding gift I received was a crooked knife. Native Americans used these to carve baskets, canoos, etc. When the English settlers came, N.A.'s would trade furs, etc. in return for razors. Now, because I'm starting to collect the "barber razors," let me say, that the term sharp doesn't describe the blade. If you were not careful, you could damn near cut serveral layers off - no joke! So, because razors kept a great edge, N.A.'s traded for them, and I'm sure the settlers thought it was a joke but gladly accepted the furs.

My crooked knife was said to be circa 1900-1930's, and man is it gorgious! It's also signed by the creator - just initials but still, it's outshines any of my current knives; truly a fine example of art at it's best carved from oak. I'll have to take a picture of it sometime, haha!

Here's an example of a crooked (or Mocotaugan) knife to give ya'll an idea:

The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:42 pm
Myth says...

I got nothing because I didn't want anything. I wanted books but who would give them to me?
.: ₪ :.

'...'

665 Reviews

Reviews: 665
Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:38 am
Chevy says...

I didn't ask for anything, but I ended up with clothes and money. Doesn't hurt to have that.
Also, an iPod alarm clock. That made me happy.
Like, 10 people at my school got those.
when there's nowhere to go, it's time to grow up.

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:56 am
Dynamo says...

I got $500 for Chrismas. I got to spend $200 however I liked, but the $300 had to last me for the rest of the month.

People ask if I ever experience writer's block and I just have to laugh... that's my default position.
— Aaron Sorkin