z

Young Writers Society

How surprised am I? Does the term shock suffice?

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:31 pm
Fishr says...

For me, again, I didn't want to post a 150+ year old family document blurb in a blog. No, that just wouldn't satisfy me at all.

My second uncle has passed down the family bible to the next generation yesturday. My 4th g. grandfather, father to my 3rd g. grandfather - Wm. C. Landon (the Civll War vet), was C. Landon b. in 1808.

It's so cool to look at the handwriting of my realitives, and in with a quill pen no less, lol! C. Landon (His first name is staying a mystery for it is a family and unique name. I rather not writers using it - I apologize.) signed his name on the front of the cover, and his daughter wrote a blurb at the back, "Presented to C. Landon, from Daught'r J. Landon."

So we believe, yesturday, it wasn't my 4th g. grandfather that wrote in the bible but his daughter since the handwriting through the five pages are the same handwriting. Afterall, how would he know his death? :wink: Now, if I could find C. Landon's father's (William, and his father is Eziekel b. 1711)'s family bible, I might fall into a complete coma and never wake up!

The bible itself is in extrodinary condition! There is only a few spotting in a couple of pages but the spine is tight and all the pages are intact without a single tare. The Old Testiment section was published in 1871, and then it has the New Testiment pub. in the following year.

But the cover itself, it's a piece of art. The edges protrude and intertwine in loops into what would appear as a fancy picture frame. The same design is on the back. It cool too because when you sniff it, you can smell the "age." Even the pages have that distinct aroma of mildew but yet they are in near perfect condition, given the age of the bible.

Oh, heh, there is one other thing. As we flipped through, my dad found a leaf pressed in the middle. We weren't sure what type of leaf it was but my uncle admitted in the years he's had it, he never new a leaf was there.

He also reminded me, upon leaving, "When you look at this bible, think kindly upon me."

In which I responded instantly, "I wouldn't think of anything less. Thank you!"

I might take a picture of the cover, and the inside page, but right now I keep looking at my trunk where it's locked safetly. I now it's somewhat foolish, but I'm sorta hestitant in touching it again. I'm afraid of possible damaging it, lol!

Anyway, with my 4th g. grandfather's bible, I'm estatic!
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

have u ever noticed how ugly rosy-lipped batfish r? and not like in the “aw ur so ugly ur cute” way that like opossums r — no they’re just hideously ugly beasts that should never have existed and r the epitome of evolution fails. the stupidity, blank look, head emptiness. they’re horrible n everyone who likes them r horrible too. they truly have the worst fan-base >:[
— Shady