Young Writers Society

D.C. Trip

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:35 pm
marching_gurl89 says...

This is the Libary of Congress

This is the supreme court

This is a statue of FDR(NO STRADLING FDR!!! Our PIs on the way told us that because they said a couple weeks ago they had a student that gave FDR a lapdance) at the FDR memorial

This is the entrance to Chinatown

Thats a statue at the WW2 memorial

Thats the resturant we at in Chinatown

That's Mr.Boyd one of my close up teachers. He is funny and cool but a tad bit weird. He ran for congress under the green party a couple of years ago. He lost.

Thats my puppy Skipper

I had so much fun on my close up trip to D.C. We stayed at the Clarion in Bethesda. We got to go to the National Museum of American History, The National Archives, The international spy museum, Arlington National Cemetary, The Jefferson Memorial, The Lincoln Memorial, The Vietnam Memorial, The Korean Memorial, The Capital(Our Teacher left two kids there), The White House(NO TOUCHY THE PORTRAITS!), The Supreme Court.
One of the things that I learned is to solve your own probelms and that Boyd really doesn't care if your room mate snores. I also learned on Capital Hill day that Boyd only wants you to call if you are lost really badly(like off capital hill)
~*~Peace, Love, and Protesters~*~
I'm not off beat!I'm marching to the beat of my own drum
I rock my socks
Hippielicious the bold new flavor from caroline
JFK BLOWN AWAY WHAT ELSE DO I HAVE TO SAY!!!!!!!

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:51 pm
deleted6 says...

That looked great fun. Hope my trip as fun as yours.
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 am
Nate says...

That's a good camera you got!

My favorite monument in DC is the WWII memorial; it's very well done and well designed. One of the things everyone was worried about when they were building was that it would obstruct the view from the Lincoln Memorial and that it would clutter up an already cluttered national mall. Fortunately, neither is the case. Plus, it's something that will last even if left untended after 1,000 years (unlike the FDR memorial which would fall apart after a year if left untended).

136 Reviews

Reviews: 136
Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:12 am
thegirlwhofateloves says...

*huffs* I want to go to DC!

..that is a way sweet puppy!
www.myspace.com/prettytorture
felicitypepper@hotmail.co.uk

Big up the YWS Massive!

....And I still don't know what SPEW is....

38 Reviews

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:24 pm
marching_gurl89 says...

Yeah my mom got me the digital camara special for the trip. Its a polaroid. It was only like $80 at target.
I rock my socks

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:30 pm
kiashana says...

Nate wrote:That's a good camera you got!

My favorite monument in DC is the WWII memorial; it's very well done and well designed. One of the things everyone was worried about when they were building was that it would obstruct the view from the Lincoln Memorial and that it would clutter up an already cluttered national mall. Fortunately, neither is the case. Plus, it's something that will last even if left untended after 1,000 years (unlike the FDR memorial which would fall apart after a year if left untended).
The FDR memorial might need tending, but I like it a lot more than the WWII memorial. FDR is just a cool space, and even though it's not actually a great memorial to FDR (he never appeared in a wheelchair in public, and I'm sure you know that statue) it's different in a good way. The WWII memorial is a little too stiff and creepy for my tastes. In terms of war memorials, I prefer the Vietnam memorial.

38 Reviews

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:37 pm
marching_gurl89 says...

I know I was like crying so much at the Vietnam memorial. I really liked the set up of the FDR memorial with the rooms. I also liked the WWII memorial. But it was the middle of winter when we went so they did not have the fountains going which was sad. Another cool thing was our workshop read MLK's I have a Dream speech on the same spot that he gave it.
I rock my socks

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:47 am
Nate says...

UGH! The FDR memorial is just so terrible though! It just wouldn't last nearly as long as the other monuments, but besides that, I didn't agree with the depictions of him either (kiashana already mentioned the wheelchair thing). Also, I think the monument didn't concentrate enough on his war time achievements. Although that's just a bias thing. I don't think FDR did much during the depression (unemployment never really budged), but he was a great wartime president. But again, that's just a bias thing.

I'm much more of a guy who likes classical architecture, which is why I really like the WWII memorial and the Jefferson memorial (which used to be my favorite). Fortunately enough, DC abounds in good neo-classical architecture.

In any case, I do very much like how the FDR memorial is on the tidal basin. It's nice to walk through; I just think it should've been grander.

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:59 pm
kiashana says...

I'll agree that the neo-classical buildings downtown are absolutely gorgeous. The Jefferson and Lincoln are both just stunning. But really, my favorite building downtown isn't a memorial. I love the Smithsonian Castle. It's just such a cool, different building and while it doesn't always seem to fit, it's way cool.

38 Reviews

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:34 pm
marching_gurl89 says...

Yeah the Smithsonian castle was really cool. I also loved the architecture on the Jefferson Building at the Libary of Congress. The Supreme Court Building was also beautiful. On Tuesday we had our walking workshop on Capital Hill. We walked past the Supreme Court and there was a bunch of Camaras outside there, because Anna Nicole Smith was having here case heard. Wednesday was Capital Hill Day where we got to see our reps and senators. It was also Tom DeLay was having his case heard at the supreme court for gerrymandering.
I rock my socks

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:47 pm
sabradan says...

I have to agree with Nate. I don't like the FDR memorial. Its cool and all, but its kida weird. A little TOO wierd.
I really like the WWII, Korean and Vietnam memorials though.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

1275 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1275
Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:47 pm
niteowl says...

I went on the DC trip too (with a different group). My teachers actually went to watch the Anna Nicole Smith case.

I wouldn't bother putting my pics on here cuz they all suck and I just had disposables anyway. I got a bunch of shiny postcards at the Jefferson Memorial, though. And some not-shiny ones from everywhere else. And I got caffeinated on Capitol Hill. Yeah, I seriously had wayyyyy too much pop (NOT SODA lol) and sugar that day.

When we went to the WWII memorial, I somehow ended up in a picture of a bunch of people in front of the Michigan one. Most of my pics in the Library of Congress turned out really bad. One of my Jefferson ones turned out really really good and the other one sucked. My mom was mad that I didn't take a picture of my roommates, even though I barely hung out with them and thus took more pics of the people I did hang out with.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

'Tis the season to shovel enormous amounts of watermelon into your mouth while hunched over the cutting board like a dehydrated vampire that hasn't fed on blood in four hundred years and the only viable substitute is this questionable Christmas-colored fruit.
— Ari11