z

Young Writers Society

When Englishness becomes Britishness

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:57 pm
Bjorn says...

Yes, but English is the name of the, over time, collective Germanic peoples who before the Normans final conquest of the isle, invaded the British isle (England-Angland=Angles), not the reverse (the [native] British peoples invading the isle of England). So by calling yourself 'British' in that sense, aren't you being more patriotic (reffering to the native peoples of the isle)? Else of course you're proud of being descended from the Germanic tribes-and really I would be too. But then I suppose you guys want that patriotism that Canadians and Americans, and as you said Scottish and Welsh peoples enjoy. Because in truth the 'English' people are mostly concerning those Germanic peoples and the Brits they sometime lived alongside, unlike the Picts who have a 'distinct' history as well as Welsh.
I come from a 'as far back as my parents can recall' Slavic heritage, and living in Canada, feel more strongly for the country I've been in for only 2 months than the country I've lived in for 15 years! I suppose being viewed as 'British' would be synonomous to a Croat or Slovene being viewed as a 'Yugoslav', which I equally resent. The Croats have a history apart from the short-lived Yugoslavia, as do English peoples. And interestingly enough, both seem to be within the same timeframe- Germanic invasion of the British Isle in around th 6th century AD=Croatian migration to what would be most of Croatia, and some of Bosnia; eventuall establishment of the Anglo-Saxon Kingdom(s)=Eventual establishment of the Kingdom of Croatia; Invasion and victory of William in 1066=Invasion and victory of Koloman around 1090-1100. And just like recently Croats slowly being viewed as a distinct peoples, so to are you Englanders expressing your patriotism to your uniquness within the U.K.! So I quite understand your plight. :o (and my Avatar is being as patriotic as your English flag, it says 'Captain of the Croatian People's Defense')
Killing For Peace Is Like F#@%ing For Chastity
Revolucija Je Sada! Revolucija Je Stobom I Svima! Revolucija Je Uvijek-Zivi Uz Revolucije I Budite Slobodni!

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:21 pm
Swires says...

right......GOD SAVE OUR GRACIOUS QUEEN. Sorry lol. Yes I am patriotic about our unique identity as English People with in the British Isles.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

136 Reviews

Reviews: 136
Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:25 pm
thegirlwhofateloves says...

[quote="Erethror"]Yes, but English is the name of the, over time, collective Germanic peoples who before the Normans final conquest of the isle, invaded the British isle (England-Angland=Angles), not the reverse (the [native] British peoples invading the isle of England). So by calling yourself 'British' in that sense, aren't you being more patriotic (reffering to the native peoples of the isle)? Else of course you're proud of being descended from the Germanic tribes-and really I would be too. But then I suppose you guys want that patriotism that Canadians and Americans, and as you said Scottish and Welsh peoples enjoy. Because in truth the 'English' people are mostly concerning those Germanic peoples and the Brits they sometime lived alongside, unlike the Picts who have a 'distinct' history as well as Welsh.
I come from a 'as far back as my parents can recall' Slavic heritage, and living in Canada, feel more strongly for the country I've been in for only 2 months than the country I've lived in for 15 years! I suppose being viewed as 'British' would be synonomous to a Croat or Slovene being viewed as a 'Yugoslav', which I equally resent. The Croats have a history apart from the short-lived Yugoslavia, as do English peoples. And interestingly enough, both seem to be within the same timeframe- Germanic invasion of the British Isle in around th 6th century AD=Croatian migration to what would be most of Croatia, and some of Bosnia; eventuall establishment of the Anglo-Saxon Kingdom(s)=Eventual establishment of the Kingdom of Croatia; Invasion and victory of William in 1066=Invasion and victory of Koloman around 1090-1100. And just like recently Croats slowly being viewed as a distinct peoples, so to are you Englanders expressing your patriotism to your uniquness within the U.K.! So I quite understand your plight. :o (and my Avatar is being as patriotic as your English flag, it says 'Captain of the Croatian People's Defense')[/quote]

Dear Lord.
www.myspace.com/prettytorture
felicitypepper@hotmail.co.uk

Big up the YWS Massive!

....And I still don't know what SPEW is....

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176
Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:31 pm
View Likes
Muse says...

Im scottish....so......yeah.
"Sometimes we see a cloud that's dragonish,
A vapour sometimes like a bear or lion,
A towered citadel, a pendant rock,
A forked mountain, or blue promontory,
With trees upon't that nod unto the world,And mock our eyes with air.."

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:03 am
Firestarter says...

Thanks, Erethror, I can understand how you feel too.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:40 am
Bjorn says...

I, in turn, rightly understand your position.

As for thegirlwhofateloves, was I being...over something?
Killing For Peace Is Like F#@%ing For Chastity
Revolucija Je Sada! Revolucija Je Stobom I Svima! Revolucija Je Uvijek-Zivi Uz Revolucije I Budite Slobodni!

136 Reviews

Reviews: 136
Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:44 am
thegirlwhofateloves says...

lol...my head just started buzzing! I'm was all worded out cos spent whole day writing. :D
www.myspace.com/prettytorture
felicitypepper@hotmail.co.uk

Big up the YWS Massive!

....And I still don't know what SPEW is....

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:31 am
backgroundbob says...

I've got blood from every part of the UK, and Canada to boot, so I'm pretty much not bothered who comes out on top. We've got the Clan Crest above the fireplace, but I'll support English teams over any other 'till Kingdom Come.
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

“Rise like Lions after slumber In unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew Which in sleep had fallen on you— Ye are many—they are few.”
— Mary Shelly