z

Young Writers Society

Originality?

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:09 pm
Black Ghost says...

What do you think makes a story original?

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:14 pm
Cassandra says...

You don't really have to worry about originallity if you're honest. I mean, if you're true to your characters and everything, it will be original.

^I've read this somewhere before. Not sure where...a book? A magazine? Who knows.

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:19 pm
View Likes
Black Ghost says...

There was this quote I read one time but I can't remember the name of the person who said it.

anyway it basically says that origninality doesn't have anything to do with writing something no one else has written before, as long as it's exactly what you think yourself.

Does that make sense?

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:14 pm
View Likes
Firestarter says...

You.

You make a story original by writing it.

Just try not to be influenced by other writers, find your style, and it should be okay.

However, finding your style is deceptively difficult. Just keep practicising and it should start coming through eventually.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:15 am
View Likes
thechair says...

I think that you find your style by observing and learning from other styles. I've found writing to be a lot like music in many ways. Yow write a story in the same way that you would write a song.
I believe you definatley should be influenced by others.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:45 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

Haha... there are four types of stories. Man against man, man against society, man against nature, and man against himself. There are no variations. Your story may have bits and pieces of those conflicts, but otherwise, that's it.

Fortunately for you, originality doesn't have to do with the story plot. It has to do with the way you tell a story. You can make a story original by putting yourself into it. Because you are special and cuddly and original, you can make it special and cuddly and original too. :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:53 am
Sam says...

Influence is good, as long as you're not trying to totally emulate the way that that person writes. Then you're just setting yourself up for failure.

But overall? The little clichès count. If you've got the 'tall, dark and handsome' character and the 'blonde bombshell' in your story, even if it's a really original story it can sound like something we've heard already.

In short? Presentation counts.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:55 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

Hahaha... you mean Sadie's father and Sadie? :roll:

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:56 am
View Likes
Sam says...

Does he have 'wavy, jet-black hair' and 'striking eyes'? :wink:
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:58 am
Snoink says...

Er... not really. He's kind of getting oldish.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
— Martin Luther King Jr.