z

Young Writers Society

Repeating Words

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Thu May 04, 2006 11:21 pm
Dream Deep says...

Hi, guys, I could use a little help with something. Below is an excerpt from a story I'm currently writing for school.

Some people did know of Najra, but if they knew about it it was only because
of the University, of a city ancient behind walls, that was foreign and alien to
them and so became appealing.

I don't want to repeat the it - looks cumbersome - but I'm not sure if there's another way to do it. Any suggestions?

Thanks

-Dream Deep _/)[/quote]

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Fri May 05, 2006 12:35 am
Poor Imp says...

Dream Deep wrote:Hi, guys, I could use a little help with something. Below is an excerpt from a story I'm currently writing for school.

Some people did know of Najra, but if they knew about it it was only because
of the University, of a city ancient behind walls, that was foreign and alien to
them and so became appealing.

I don't want to repeat the it - looks cumbersome - but I'm not sure if there's another way to do it. Any suggestions?

Thanks

-Dream Deep _/)

Try it like so : "Some did know of Najra, but only because of the University of a city, ancient behind walls, that was foreign to them and so became appealing."

You see I also dropped alien - as it means the same as foreign; and I tweaked the punctuation.(...That's up to you in the end; I know you didn't ask for a sentence entirely critiqued. ^_^'')

Helpful, I hope?
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Fri May 05, 2006 6:37 am
Swires says...

yes imps version sounds good.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

504 Reviews

Fri May 05, 2006 12:45 pm
Dream Deep says...

You, my firends, are life savers.

Thank you thank you thank you thank you.

:lots_hearts:

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri May 05, 2006 5:52 pm
Snoink says...

Hehehe...

If you want to go for a more fragmented effect (I'm not quite sure you do but...) here's my attempt:

Some people did know of Najra, but only because of the University. Of an ancient city behind walls. It was foreign to them and so became appealing.

I'm not quite sure if this is what you intended to say... but hey! :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

504 Reviews

Fri May 05, 2006 11:47 pm
Dream Deep says...

Snoink wrote:Hehehe...

If you want to go for a more fragmented effect (I'm not quite sure you do but...) here's my attempt:

Some people did know of Najra, but only because of the University. Of an ancient city behind walls. It was foreign to them and so became appealing.

I'm not quite sure if this is what you intended to say... but hey! :D

:D Have you spoken to Hemmingway lately?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri May 05, 2006 11:52 pm
Snoink says...

Frequently. He seems to be my alter ego. XD
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.
— JRR Tolkien