z

Young Writers Society

What makes a good title?

129 Reviews

Reviews: 129
Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:43 am
Mattie says...

I was just wanted to know what makes a good title. Is it that it would hold some meaning that later is discovered in the book, something witty that draws attention, ect.?
I really need a title. I don't know if I'll just wait until I'm done writing. Right now, it's "Untitled". I was thinking something along the lines of the word "purple". Like, "Don't Even Bleed on the Purple Leather". Interesting enough? (If you knew what it was about it'd make sense.) So, any ideas? What do you guys take into consideration?

OH! I know this is extremely off-topic, but thought it was funny. (And it will explain to you what my story is about incase you have some ideas.) This girl asked me what it was I was writing my book about. I told her,
"It's about a lesbian teen named Shannon."
"And?"
"She moves to a new town because of her problems in New York. There, she meets her soon-to-be friend, Renee. When they become close, Renee starts to question her sexuality."
"Oh...is this based on a true story?"
"Um...no."

LMAO! I just thought that was SO funny. Uh...*HIDES* I hate telling people what it's about. I just think it sounds stupid out loud. Much better to read. ;)

AND, if you guys are willing to answer some more questions about where my story is going that I have, I'd really apprecaite it. :D Feel free to PM me if anyone takes up the offer. PLEASE don't feel like you have to.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:32 am
Snoink says...

First of all, it has to be somewhat relevent to the story.

And then... the fun begins!

Titles have to be catchy and short. So the question is, what makes a title catchy? The answer? The use of sex, violence, or other random things that make you go "WTF?" in your title.

For example, the movie "Jaws" is a great title. It gives interesting imagery of teeth, which gives a picture of violence. In a similar note, "White Fang" is good. Teeth are awesome.

For a sexy title... well... let's say that I am a little bit of a pervert, and if I see the title, "Sweaty Bedsheets" on YWS, I would check out that story immediately, just because. XD

And then the random stuff. I love random titles because they're awesome, plus a good random title will make you want to write the story. On a similar note, the reader will want to read it. All in all, it will make you happy. :)

For instance, Nate had this writing contest about ducks recently, and the titles were usually very interesting. Ducks in titles instantly make you go "WTF?" So it's a good thing.

Anyway, good luck with your story! It sounds interesting.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

104 Reviews

Reviews: 104
Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:26 pm
View Likes
Joeducktape says...

I have that problem too. Nothing sounds... flow-y enough.

Good book titles: A Great and Terrible Beauty
Deliver Us From Normal
This Present Darkness

I have noooo clue what to name my story. Occasionally, quotes from the book make good titles. That was the case with A Great and Terrible Beauty.
Check my new and improved blog:

weblog.php?w=764

[/shameless plug]

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:48 pm
Firestarter says...

I have no idea what to name my story. All the cliche naval titles have been rolled out somewhere or other i.e. "In The King's Name"; "The Commodore"; "Clear For Action" etc.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

Random avatar

Reviews: 681
Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:52 pm
View Likes
Sponson Light says...

You can name it after the main character.

"Macbeth" and "Harry Potter"

You can name it after a goal or title.

"The Lord of the Rings"

You could name it relative to whats happening.

"Honor of the Grave"

You could also name it something that will happen later on. This in my opinion is the strongest title. Because people are puzzled until the end where everything hits them.

"Kingdom Hearts"
You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, instead, you should read every single book to see what every book is about before you even come close to judging its viability.

129 Reviews

Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:57 pm
Mattie says...

Thanks for the advice, Snoink and Sponson Light. You always have helpful ideas. I think I finally have a good title in mind. It might be a little long, but most of the time it's what draws attention. Especially if it's random. My title is sort of random, yet it gives you a clue as to what it's about. This is it:

Purple Stains Never Come Off the Bedsheets

It sounds more of a song title the more I think about it...a la Fall Out Boy.

Purple for the character being gay, which is the color normally associated. Then the stains on the bedsheet never coming off part because both characters are normally thinking about each other. Does that sound weird and like you'd have to absoluetly know what I'm talking about in order to get it? Ideas? I just like how it sounds. Catchy enough, no? :) Comments? Concerns?

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:37 pm
View Likes
Shriek says...

That sounds pretty good, Mattie. I'd definitely check into your story if it were based soley on the title -- it's causes a bunch of questions to pop into a person's head. "What are the purple stains? Why can they never be removed?" etc.

Hm. There is no set formula for titling a piece, I think. A title must must MUST set the tone for the piece, however. Whether it's witty or simplistic will all depend on the rest of what you've written. For example, a book titled How Opal Mehta Got Kissed, Got Wild, and Got a Life conveys a completely different tone and, thus, would attract a completely different audience than, oh say Stick Figure: A Diary of My Former Self. Right off the bat, you can tell which story will probably be the comedy.

Just remember that while a title might be crucial to attracting a reader, it's not the title, but the bulk of the story that will stick with your reader in the end. So don't beat yourself up over it too much!

I could probably write all day about titles, but I'll probably stop right there.
Good luck, Mattie!
i thought you were shallow, but then i fell in deep.

Random avatar

Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:14 am
View Likes
Sponson Light says...

Remember the title is just something to refer it by and something to draw readers in.

Would you want to open a book called "Treasure" or "Rainbow" or some mundane noun?
No. At least I wouldnt.
"Treasure Island" sounds a bit bland.

Uncommon names and what not will stick. However there are some titles that suffer from LNS, long name syndrome.
Such as TSSSS
The School Show Starring School
TSOALR
Turn Signals on a Land Raider
PSNCOFTB
Purple Stains Never Come Off the Bedsheets
You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, instead, you should read every single book to see what every book is about before you even come close to judging its viability.

129 Reviews

Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:53 am
Mattie says...

How could I shorten it then? Any ideas?

Random avatar

Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:09 am
Sponson Light says...

Purple Stains seems pretty short and concise.
Still arises the question "what are purple stains?"

Also everyone knows stains are hard to get rid of.

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:32 am
View Likes
Swires says...

Basically you've got to think about what the book is about. LOL! sorry I couldnt be more help.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

129 Reviews

Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:11 pm
Mattie says...

What about...Purple Stains on my Collar? Pretty short? If not, I'll just stick with Purple Stains.

Random avatar

Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:32 pm
Sponson Light says...

Purple Stain on my Collar puts the image of grape wine or grape juice stains on the collar.

Reviews: 1
Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:24 pm
Scipio says...

Personaly I think a good title is one that has something to do with the story.

That doesn't mean, however, that you have to incorperate your title into the stary. It just means that if your story is about a certain person you might want to consider putting that persons name in the title. For example, in the book titled "Go ask Alice" it is about a girl named Alice.

I think that your idea for your story is a ver orginal idea. Stick with it!! :D
Luv Scipio

Being a hero doesn't mean you're invincible. It just means that you're brave enough to stand up and do what's needed.
— Rick Riordan, The Mark of Athena