z

Young Writers Society

Writers Block - Please help me!

Random avatar

Reviews: 31
Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:54 am
cathy says...

I go through fazes of writing, sometimes story's, sometimes poems, sometimes songs. I really feel like writing at the moment, but all the idea's that I come up with are really bad. I was wandering if anyone could give me any advice about what I should do, and how to get over "Writer's Block".
There’s nothing to do, There’s nothing to see
There’s no where to go, There’s no where to be
I’m just sitting alone, In this empty room
Writing my poem, I’m over the moon

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:12 am
Elizabeth says...

First off, (After a recent epiphiny) NO ideas are bad. They can be cliche or overused or underused or semi-used or badly worded or not worded enough or too worded, but there are NO bad ideas. They are only BAD if you think they are, which means it's the persons fault for not writing.

If more people realized this then there'd be no more writers block. ANd with that you should up your confidence. CHANGE YOUR SIG FOR GODS SAKE!!!!

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:19 pm
Poor Imp says...

You should keep writing...don't despair and think because it all feels awful, it all is - or that you are.

I've found reading is helpful. Sometimes...I've gotten stuck on something, and letting it go for awhile to read a good book always brings me back to writing more lighthearted.

The worst part of writer's block is worrying about it. The more you hold onto it, think about it - the deeper down you go - or so it seems.
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:48 pm
Duskglimmer says...

Honestly, I'm beginning to think that Writer's Block is just another way of saying that your internal editor is getting on your case too much.

When I find that I'm having trouble writing, I set myself a goal for writing each day. Most of the time that just means that I either a) tell myself that I have to write SOMETHING each day, or b) I set myself a word limit (like say 100 words) that I have to write each day. It helps me a lot. I don't know if it will work for you, but you can give it a try if you like.
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

98 Reviews

Reviews: 98
Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:22 pm
Sophie says...

If I get Block whilst writing:
-- A poem - I jot down any ideas I had for later on in the poem and stop writing, pehaps think it through without putting pen to paper for a while
-- A story - I write something that I'll include later on.
-- A song - hmm... Dunno what happens there. Pause and listen to/ play some music.
Oh the trees!
Take me back to London please!!!

Every empire tells itself and the world that it is unlike all other empires.
— Edward Said