z

Young Writers Society

Creating an Evil Character

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:34 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Evil Characters are a critical component of many conflicts. Unfortunately, they suffer the same problems that good guys suffer from: too much special powers, not enough character.

Sauron, the chief antagonist in Lord of the Rings, suffers from the same problem. Admittedly, there is only so much evil that a disembodied flaming eyeball could do, but he really wasn't done that well.

In contrast, Darth Vader was done very well.

How can we write evil characters that are both evil, yet dangerous? It's actually rather simple.

First off, don't give your evil character any frilly accessories. This can wait until after you've defined his character. Yes, weapons, clothing, and fortresses are accessories.

A real evil character doesn't need any intimidating gimmicks to be dangerous. An evil character is able to be evil whether or not he has a knife or the Death Star. As a test, take away these gimmicks. If you think your character is still sufficently evil, get a second opinion before continuing.

To build an evil character, let's start with a good character.

You see, most evil characters start off good. Some of the greatest mass murderers of history started off from humble origins and did murder in the name of the better good.

The difference between a good and evil is how far a person is willing to go to accomplish what they want. Heroes usually have some sort of system of morals and virtues that tell them when to stop. Villians, on the other hand, will continue to whatever end to obtain a result.

Darth Vader wanted peace too. So, he killed all the enemies of the empire. Once he decided to do anything necessary to ensure peace, he became ruthless, not knowing that he wasn't freeing anyone, he was simply oppressing them.

Other than this one subtle difference, evil characters are just the same as any other type of character.

As a writer, you need to explain your evil character in some detail. It is just as important that your hero understands the motivations of the villian as the reader.

Most writers think that once the main characters are defined, the rest of the characters can be stock characters, including the villian.

DON'T BE ONE OF THEM!

Cliches will kill your story faster than any over-powered weapon. Simple rule of thumb: if it is from a movie that is less than a decade old, don't do it. If it is still evil after a decade, then use it. Otherwise, don't waste your time.

Some people like using psychopath characters. Unfortunately, some people think that they can get away with not having a character simply because there character is insane. Even psychopaths have reasons, these reasons are of a more confounding nature than normal evil characters.

Good evil characters are not accessorized, they have character. They do wrong things for the right reasons. My favorite evil overlords are great not because they have power, but they have some character to back it up.

So, in summary:

1. Evil characters, like any characters, must have character. If all that makes them evil is clothing, weapons, or fortresses, then you need to go back to the drawing board.

2. Evil characters, like the hero, have motivations also. They just are willing to go to extremes to accomplish them.

3. It is super important that the reader knows the motivations of the character, otherwise they will not connect with the evilness of the character.

4. Cliches are prohibited. If you are trying to use a plot device that you saw in a movie that was made in the last ten years, then don't use it. If it is still evil after a decade, then use it (more so if it has passed the test of several decades of violence.)

5. Psychopaths have character too. It is harder though.

6. The best evil overlords have character. CHARACTER!
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:04 am
Doctor Kitty says...

Quite useful. I just realized I haven't crafted a bad guy in quite a while, and the last one I created was a formless mass with a gooey center of cliche.

I'll come back to this guide if I can ever get enough inspiration to write again...I'm getting there. My creativity is tired of waiting for inspiration.

Anyway, me likey. :D

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:53 am
View Likes
Crysi says...

Nice tip, Griff. As I read this, I was trying to picture my own villains and compare them with this guide. I think I'm on the right track with them. My advice is to add flaws - don't make the characters perfect in their "evilness" or "goodness." And it's always better, in my opinion, if the villain truly believes he or she is doing the right thing, instead of saying, "Ooh, I'm so evil, I think I'll kill all the little kiddies because that's such an evil thing to do!"

I like your idea of "testing" the characters by taking all the frills away. That's an excellent thing to do. Actually, it's a good prompt for a freewrite: gather your characters together in a room, take away their weapons etc., and let them interact. You'll learn a lot from the dialogue and subtle actions. That's where you'll begin to see the true character.

*skips off to do a bit of testing*
Love and Light

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:49 am
Snoink says...

Psychopaths are fun (in a strange way) to write for, but before you even THINK of using a psychopath character, please, for the love of all that is oinking, research it! For those who know very well what real insanity is, it is painful to read.

Besides, it's just... *shudders*

Anyway...

Also, if your evil character fits these guidelines, it's probably a bad thing: The Evil Overlord List of DOOM
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:00 am
Griffinkeeper says...

The problem with the evil-overlord list is that it doesn't tell you how to create an evil overlord.

Although it is good for cliche killing.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:43 pm
View Likes
Areida says...

Oooh, thanks, Grif. I have issues with writing villains sometimes, but I'm working on getting more into evil characters. Gotta think like Lady Macbeth when I'm writing those... lol... That sounds creepy.

But yeah, this is good advice. :D
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

104 Reviews

Reviews: 104
Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:24 pm
Joeducktape says...

I think if you take away his frills, my evil guy is still evil. Teehee! I might ask for a second opinion on evilness....

I should probably do a report on his motivation though, so I can put it into clear context in the story....
Check my new and improved blog:

weblog.php?w=764

[/shameless plug]

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:55 pm
Duskglimmer says...

Except for the part about Sauron being poorly done, I agree with this. It's a great guide. I hate how people seem to take forever and a year to create thier main characters and then the bad guys are like something out of a disney movie. (not that I'm dissing disney movies, but come on... they're like walking cliches). It always just makes me want to scream at them to find some sort of real motivation and character for this black-cloaked ominious men that run rampant through thier stories.
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:12 pm
View Likes
sabradan says...

*Darth Vader voice*
Well done, my son. Join Me, and we shall create evil characters together, and rule the entire galaxy!
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:58 am
Swires says...

Nice tip, and I agree that Sauron was a terrible evil character. But then again wasnt Saruman that main evil charcter throughout LOTR?
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:28 pm
Poor Imp says...

Adam101 wrote:Nice tip, and I agree that Sauron was a terrible evil character. But then again wasnt Saruman that main evil charcter throughout LOTR?

No, it was Sauron throughout...Saruman seems to be good for more than half of the Fellowship of the Ring; and he ends being more pitiable than evil.

But yes, interesting thoughts Grif...for bad guys. I do think it's possible to have an evil character that is more archtype, evil beyond mere humanity (depending upon the story); but too often stories of psychopaths look the same as epic fantasy.
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:13 am
Elelel says...

You see, most evil characters start off good. Some of the greatest mass murderers of history started off from humble origins and did murder in the name of the better good.

Isn't it just amazing what was done for the greater good? I'm going to do a story where practically everyone is out for the greater good and manages to stuff up royally. Right now I'm going through a "for the greater good" phase and am not in to evil characters. It's fun.

People deffinately need to think about their evil characters a bit more, and give them the right to character development just like the good guys. Bad guys are always discriminated against because they're bad. It's not their fault they're bad, it's just how they were written.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:15 pm
Galatea says...

The one thing you missed, that I believe must absolutely be incorporated, is this: You must be able to perform two essentialy actions with all your characters, evil included. A) You must eliminate from your mind the dualiity of Good and evil and B) You must be able to stand in their shoes and justify their actions.

Firstly, thinking in concrete factors of 'Good' and 'Evil' will benefit no one. You will end up with stock characters and a cliche plot. Think of it from a daoist perspective. There is a balance of all things, the dark and the light. Without dark, there could not be light. Even the bad serves a purpose. There is a complexity to every human being based upon these principles. No one is truely good or truely bad. If you want to write realistic characters, write with balance, not duality.

The second, I feel, is of the greatest importance. From an actor's point of view, if I am cast as an antagonist, it does me absolutely no good to regard myself as 'evil' or 'bad'. If I am to perform a realistic person, I must justify all of my characters behaviours to myself. Applied to writing, the same principle stands. If you cannot connect with every single one of your characters on some level, then your audience won't be able to either.
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:24 am
View Likes
LamaLama says...

I think the best bet is to not define them as 'evil.' Don't think of them in terms of good or bad, write for them as though they are making choices based on who they are. As soon as the 'evil' definition comes in, sauron and palpatine come to mind. Vader was well done because he's never actually called evil. Not once (in the original series anyway.) The emperor in the original three is 2 dimensional. He is only evil, and is referred to as evil a number of times.

They may be the antagonist, or the person that is working against the main character, but I don't even like to go that far. Another main character, someone else who you're interested in, who just happens to be making choices that don't go along with the normal moral code. Usually, the best one's are the people that you aren't quite sure are the bad guys.

I've never played it, but apparently Sephiroth from FF7 is a good example. So is Tyler Durden from Fight Club.
Beware of the scary banana fingers! For they are mushy, and yellow.

I will change my sig whenever another member asks me too. (please request publicly) Last change: Nov. 12 by: Griffinkeeper

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:41 am
Poetriez says...

An evil Character could truly be the protagonist right? And If so The evil Character may also have morals even though they may be twisted.
Last edited by Poetriez on Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
War is war
Nothing else
Nothing more

-J.G. Follett

I'm effortlessly ironic.
— Link Neal