Young Writers Society

Creating an Evil Character

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:45 am
Snoink says...

Not really....

You see, the concept of evil is all perspective. If your evil guy is the hero, then he's not evil. See?

There is no one who is truly evil. :P
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:42 am
Crysi says...

Well... Yes and no, Snoink. I once read a Star Wars book (can't remember the title... Shadow Hunter, maybe?) where the story was mostly from the point of view of Darth Maul. So while he was the bad guy, he was also the main character. It was really cool and really weird. Readers aren't used to being forced to see the perspective from the villian's eyes. Just a thought. ;)
Love and Light

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:08 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Instead of reading fiction, it would be better if you focus on non-fiction.

Mien Kamph will provide you better insight into the mind of a dictator then any fan-fiction.

Or, Red Horizons. This book was written by the Chief of Romanian Intelligence, Iona Pacepa. He basically details the crimes of the dictator there.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Mon May 01, 2006 1:48 am
Roaming Shadow says...

Something to keep in mind with creating evil characters, perhaps less is more. Sure, you as the author should know everything about your character, and I agree with the tips given, but a powerful tool may be to keep the antagonist a bit of a mystery. Give a sense of "who is this guy?" if the antagonist is more or less human, or a known species that's not out of place where he or she is.

They don't have to be perfect, but being more then they logically should be can create a sense of dread in the protagonist. Don't say "he/she can do this, that, and the other thing", but make the reader wonder "what can't he/she do?" Then, reveal that logically in the story, leading to the epic climax where the hero overcomes their weaknesses and exploits the evil doers own weakness to cleanse the land of evil (cliche and overdramatic, sure, but I get the point across).

Also, as to having a motive, an evil doer could simply be obsessed with having power. Needing a sense of control over others. Why he/she needs it is up to you. One also doesn't need to be "insane" to have a twisted outlook on the world.

What may also make the antagonist more interesting is if only the lead characters know the person is truly evil, like Palpatine in Star Wars. Only a few Jedi knew he was a sith. Making "Mister Famous Big Bad and Evil" may make him/her less interesting than the sly yet powerful manipulator (or something).

Well, those are my views. Hope they help whoever reads this. 8)

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Mon May 01, 2006 2:16 am
IceCreamMan says...

Galatea wrote:Firstly, thinking in concrete factors of 'Good' and 'Evil' will benefit no one. You will end up with stock characters and a cliche plot. Think of it from a daoist perspective. There is a balance of all things, the dark and the light. Without dark, there could not be light. Even the bad serves a purpose. There is a complexity to every human being based upon these principles. No one is truely good or truely bad. If you want to write realistic characters, write with balance, not duality.

Smartest response of them all. I agree 100%.

If you want your story to capture the reader and make them truly imagine it and care what happens, they have to be able to relate to it. Nobody is "evil," so why make a character that way? You can make a character that the reader hates, but make them human. They have feelings too. They have dreams, and ambitions, and desires just like everyone else.

I try to avoid making heroes and villains, as it makes for dull cliched plots. Nobody in real life feels like a hero or villain and can therefore not relate to the character's situation. We are all somewhere inbetween. Learn from Ernest Hemingway's style of not having good or bad guys, just people getting by in life. Thats what made me love 'The Sun Also Rises' so much. There's so much in it that speaks to the soul.
Clementine: This is it, Joel. It’s going to be gone soon.
Joel: I know.
Clementine: What do we do?
Joel: Enjoy it.”
-Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind-

I'll show my defiance through ironic obedience!
— AstralHunter