z

Young Writers Society

Idea for a story

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:49 pm
Angel17 says...

I haven't written a story in a long time, and thought i should start writing again.

My idea for a story is a romance, and a bit typical but tell me what you think;

A girl and guy are totally in love but he has cheated on her once before and her parents know about this. He is a guy who makes mistakes and is in the wrong crowd but is changing for her, and does genuinly love her. But her parents do not except him, and won't let her marry him, but she feels she would rather die than marry another. A few weeks later her parents want her to meet another guy, they want to her to evetually marry him, and she is in tears.

Well thats roughly the idea. I weren't sure if it was too typical and not original enough. Please help! :D
Real poetry are those with the best words in the best order

~~~~~~~~Mandy~~~~~~~~~

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:12 pm
Poor Imp says...

You can have almost any scenario if your characters are strong.

I'm not sure myself about this particular idea...I've never really read romance (an alliteration!) so as to originality, I have no earthly clue. Does it sound cliched to you? Do you have a vivid idea of how the characters will act in the situation?

Try writing it. See how it comes out. :D
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:17 pm
Icaruss says...

Actually it does sound cliched, and I don't even read romance. I think that you could pull this off as a comedy. Other than that it will probably end up as one of those books people pick up to read on planes. Even if it has strong characters, and is well-written.
there are many problems in our times
but none of them are mine

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:06 pm
View Likes
Poor Imp says...

A comedy is actually a good suggestion...though I'm not sure Angel had that in mind. :D But with strong characters, the events will most likely change, as a character acting like a real person won't usually sit around in mountains of cliche.
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:08 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

When you're first coming up with an idea, don't worry about whether it is clichéd or not. Write what you want. It doesn't have to be publishable for you to truly enjoy it. In fact, the pressure of it not being publishable can make the story better. I find that I write my best when I don't give a damn at pleasing anyone.

So just write it. It'll be fine.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

shady and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws
— Tuckster