z

Young Writers Society

Story Ideas/Character Names

Do you have trouble thinking of character names and/or story ideas?

Yes, I have trouble thinking of names.
25%
Yes, I have trouble thinking of ideas.
17%
I have trouble with both.
21%
Me? Trouble? Never!
38%

Total votes : 24

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:07 am
View Likes
Karma says...

I am in major need of some story ideas, as my miraculous brain has run dry..
help...please?
My Karma Ran Over My Dogma
^------^
( 0 . 0 )
---------
Meow

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:22 am
LamaLama says...

Story ideas... What might help is wrighting some potential characters down on a bunch of cards. A bunch of potential places down on cards, and a bunch of positions or occupations down on cards, like fireman, solder hero, bank robber, etc. And then just pick a few characters, and one of each of the others at random. It may not be a story you run with, but it may give you a place to start with. Say you pick jim gum, bank robber, mars. Try to put the mall together some how, make a story out of that. You might find you end up wrighting about jamie hawthburn who is a fire eater in wyoming, but it gives you a starting place.
Beware of the scary banana fingers! For they are mushy, and yellow.

I will change my sig whenever another member asks me too. (please request publicly) Last change: Nov. 12 by: Griffinkeeper

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:25 am
Snoink says...

Don't try to rake your brain for ideas -- that never works. Just let it go. Remember the saying "A watched pot never boils"? Same concept here. The more you obsess over finding an idea, the less likely you are to actually getting an idea. So don't worry about it. Write a blog or something about your wonderful life. Do something interesting, find a new hobby. Study hard during school. Do chores. Whatever. Just don't obsess over finding an idea.

Then, after you come up with an idea, worry about names. :P
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:55 am
Azrael says...

Listen to different types of music, that usually helps me. Depending on the style of music could trigger new ideas or scenes for a story that could lead into an idea. Also, try reading mythology stories.

122 Reviews

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:33 am
Karma says...

Thganks a lot, perople!
I was trying to do an english assignment, and I got really frustrated.
All gone now !
I posted it here: http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=111254#111254
^------^
( 0 . 0 )
---------
Meow

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:08 am
View Likes
Myth says...

I have trouble with both sometimes. I have loads of ideas that I have borrowed from stories we've done in school since Primary School and now I put them together to form a basic plot.

Names are always the hardest for me because I like the old names and Irish names and it's difficult sometimes to find a name that is suited to my character.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:54 pm
Araidne says...

Go for a walk in a park, or field. Or picture a landscape,like mountains. I got a story idea from the saying " When pigs fly". One name for a location in my story I got from a biology book!
Out flew the web, and floated wide,
The mirror cracked from side to side.
'The curse has come upon me' cried
The Lady of Shalott

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:00 am
tinny says...

I usually think of a name and then build the plot around it, what I'm currently writing came from my aim to have a character called Lime. I always find the plots harder 'cause they always shift and change in my head.
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

122 Reviews

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:51 am
View Likes
Karma says...

Thanx a lot!
what do you think of the name "Isaure"?
^------^
( 0 . 0 )
---------
Meow

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:08 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

It's kind of hard to say out loud because it's a rather awkward name. How would you pronounce it?
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:26 am
View Likes
Griffinkeeper says...

It also helps if we know the gender of the character. If this is a female name, I'd drop the "u". If it is masculine I would drop the "u" and turn the "s" into an "n".
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

122 Reviews

Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:20 am
Karma says...

Heeheehee, it's mine!
In american-english it's pronounced E-Zor (dinosaur, Eyore), but in my french relatives' houses it's E-sohrrrr (roll the 'r')[/b]
^------^
( 0 . 0 )
---------
Meow

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:01 pm
volleychik992 says...

I have a book that's called the writer's guide to character naming... it's really helpful when you begin to draw a blank because it's organized by origin and gender--they have nearly every culture imaginable in there.

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:39 pm
View Likes
-KayJuran- says...

volleychik992 wrote:I have a book that's called the writer's guide to character naming... it's really helpful when you begin to draw a blank because it's organized by origin and gender--they have nearly every culture imaginable in there.

Where'd you get it?? It sounds like such a great thing for reference!! :P

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:25 am
volleychik992 says...

It's by Sherrilyn Kenyon, and I think it was published by Writer's Digest (which I read religiously). I got it from Barnes and Noble for about twenty bucks, but you have to special order it and it takes about one or two weeks to get it. But it is extremely helpful, I highly recommend it.

Positive anything is better than negative nothing.
— Elbert Hubbard