z

Young Writers Society

Back in Time Scenes

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:58 pm
View Likes
Swires says...

Those who have read the boatman will know it starts out as a first person story, of someone who gets killed. I was wondering if I could have several scenes in the book where the same character, in the first person is writing about the build up to his death, or would it be confusing?
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

118 Reviews

Reviews: 118
Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:15 pm
*Twilight* says...

Oh you mean flash backs? If you write the flashbacks well enough then I don't think anyone would be confused you just need to make sure that your readers are aware that it is a flash back.
Hire people to crit your work! Get paid to crit other people's work!
The YWS crit shop: forum/viewtopic.php?t=8018

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:22 pm
Rei says...

Yeah, it really does depend on how you want to structure the story. Is it a start at the end and go back to the beginning? If you make it clear that that's what you're doing there shouldn't be a problem.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:06 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

No, more like a person describing the events leading up to his death, in the first person viewpoint.

You could do it, but it would be very confusing. In fact, it might be easier to describe it from present tense instead of describing it in the past tense. Even the third person limited would be better.

So, I'd consider changing the viewpoint.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:38 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

Watch the movie "Sunset Boulevard." They deal with the kind of scene you're talking about in a tasteful, intriguing manner. Also, be sure to take a peek at "Citizen Kane" which starts off with a death and then suddenly goes back to see why that character died. Remember, movies are your friends!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
— Someone Incredibly Noncommittal