Young Writers Society

Research Tip

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:01 pm
View Likes
Firestarter says...

I'd just like to point out something incredibly useful I've found on the net, that would help anyone hoping to research Britain or it's (former) colonies.

http://www.collectbritain.co.uk/collections/

It has thousands of online prints of primary sources through hundreds of years. I'm currently looking at the Caribbean and found a map of a harbour, barracks, printed records of a sugar/rum accounts and a diary of a seaman, all of which are really really useful for my potential novel.

Examples of things you can find:

--> Maps of London through three centuries!
--> Maps of Britain through eight centuries
--> Diary Extracts
--> Thousands of pictures from accross the world

There are also virtual exhibitions, sound-bites and themed tours.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:09 am
Myth says...

Thanks for that, I might just use it.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:39 pm
Swires says...

Nice resource, illl be sure to check it out, I may work off an old map for my fantasy world.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:12 pm
Firestarter says...

Added to this, if people need information on naval history in the Age of Sail then I have found a brilliant site to help writers: it describes the duties of all the different officers, NCOs and seamen, basic seamanship, gunnery, masting and rigging, etc. etc.

It's brilliant. See here: http://www.bruzelius.info/Nautica/Nautica.html
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

A person is a fool to become a writer. His only compensation is absolute freedom. He has no master except his own soul, and that, I am sure, is why he does it.
— Roald Dahl