z

Young Writers Society

A Question on Heroines

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:00 am
View Likes
Mazey says...

So, I am writing a fantasy novel, and I had a question about my main character (she's a girl).

She has red hair, red/demonic eyes (it's a part of the plot), and a strong personality. (In a nutshell)

What I want to know is this: do you think these characteristics all bundled into one heroine is something the readers would roll their eyes over? I mean, in no way is she a Mary Sue (she certainly has her flaws), but it's just the certain factors put together that I'm worried about. My question also falls into the "Are red-headed, strong-personality heroines too common?" category as well... and any other category you can think of.

If you have any input... please please please share :mrgreen:
"Write what you want to read."

253 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 253
Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:57 am
View Likes
RacheDrache says...

Well, the first thing to note is that having flaws doesn't give a character immunity from the "Mary Sue" title. I know the Mary Sue litmus tests determine Suehood by flaws, but that's not really what Mary Sue-ness is about. Mary Sueness is more like an attitude a writer has toward a character. Playing favorites, sort of.

topic71616.html

That's a good thread about Sueness. I really suggest reading it.

But on to what you wanted to know.

I have no problem with a strong heroine with red hair and red/demonic eyes. For me, it'd all depend on the other stuff. If you treat it all nonchalantly, then I'll be nonchalant with it. But if you as the author try, in the prose, to convince me that either a) she is, liek, soooooo AWZUUUUUUM/cool/amazing or that b) despite all this, she's really just a normal girl like you and me...

Then, as a reader, I might have a bone to pick with you about it :-)

If she's just so misunderstood, or if her mistakes are all okay because she's had a rough past, or if she never has to answer for her shortcomings or failures, or if I'm expected to feel pity for her just because she's who she is... then I might have a bone to pick with you about it.

But the traits by themselves? I'm actually kind of intrigued.
I don't fangirl. I fandragon.

Have you thanked a teacher lately? You should. Their bladder control alone is legend.

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:09 pm
View Likes
Mazey says...

Thank you, Rachael. You had amazing advice, and that was an incredible article. :D
"Write what you want to read."

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:58 am
View Likes
Blackjack says...

I kind of always found heroines annoying o.o. They always throw in some girl romance things, so the heroine is never as strong as she should be. You have to be careful with heroines and what messages they might be sending the female readers.

In reality though, red heads are sexually aggressive o.o.
Honestly ;o

But, the whole red-head-is-strong-headed and all that, is kind of over done (but everything is, really!). But that doesn't matter much depending on what you're doing with the character. I'm sure she's not just that. Since Rachael has already said plenty, I'm leaving it at that.
Don't Say The Sky Is The Limit. My Dreams Can Reach So Much Farther.
Emotions Are The Life Of People, But Also The Death.

If it wasn't for poetry, I couldn't express myself.
— Rosendorn