Why Poor Spelling Sucks

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:27 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

OMG! READ MY STORY:

The freak cluthed a towle arond here nakked boddy and shivvered in the bathrom. The hedmistres had proised to be back son, but the freak herd a lod cras in the othr room, folowed by a lou strng of curssing by the hedmistres. She gused teh hedmistres wudn’t com back as soon she hopped. She ganced at the door, tremmbling slightly, and then, grippping the towel closer, the freak creppt to the mirrorr.

Oh, wasn't that fun! Don't you want to read more?

That is my story, my pride and joy, named FREAK. I love to write it and have spent hours perfecting it. Yet... did it seem like I cared about my story?

Of course not! The spelling sucked.

The ideas behind a story are always the most important part of the story. It's sort of like you. You, no matter what you look like, no matter who you seem to be, are still important because you are you.

But imagine you're going to an interview to get a job that you really really want. Something that gives you a $100 per hour. Would you dress up in rags and see your potential employer for your first interview? You may be the best person for the job, but that doesn't matter. First impressions count. You would be tossed away before you can say, "Cheesecake."

In the same way, spelling (and grammar, but that's for another tutorial) is a way to dress up your story. Bad spelling creates an instant bad impression. If I see a work on YWS that is littered with spelling errors, my first thought is not, "Oh, this is okay, so I'm going to compliment the author about the complicated themes, then have an indepth discussion about his story." No.

The first thing that pops into my mind is, sadly enough, is, "This writer doesn't care about his story, so therefore I'm not going to waste my time with his ideas and instead focus solely on his errors." Mind you, if I've seen that the author has edited his work and corrected all the spelling errors after I look at it, then I'll be more than happy to go over with the story with him. But this never seems to happen.

It's a shame really, if you think about it. I can understand bad spelling if you are writing the work by hand, but when you write on a computer, you can always hit F7 and get a spelling check! And even if, for some reason, you can't, then you can always use YWS's spellchecker.

Bad spelling ends up being a bad thing for the both of us. We, being writers, are more interested in getting our story out than little things like editing spelling errors. On the other side, the side of us editors, we are interested in reading good stories and comment on them, but are frequently unable to read, just because of the spelling errors.

I don't care if you're a bad speller, but at least check your work! After all, if you won't even look over your work for simple spelling errors when you have all these tools available to you, then why should I bother reading your story?

Good luck...
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:42 am
View Likes
Areida says...

AMEN!!

Bad spelling puts me off so much that once I see it, I forget to focus on theme, plot progression, etc. because I'm too tied up CORRECTING THEIR SPELLING! Major pet peeve.

Thankee, Snoink!
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:51 am
View Likes
Duskglimmer says...

Snoink wrote:But imagine you're going to an interview to get a job that you really really want. Something that gives you a $100 per hour. Would you dress up in rags and see your potential employer for your first interview? You may be the best person for the job, but that doesn't matter. First impressions count. You would be tossed away before you can say, "Cheesecake."

*blinks* yeah... you would... especially if you tried to test it by saying "Cheesecake" the moment you walked in the door.

But yes... Spelling... Spell Checks are heaven's gift to writers... use them, please.
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:16 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Oh god. The moment I see bad spelling, I just run away. I mean, it is like saying "here is this piece that I didn't care enough to spell check, what do you think?" to which I reply: "I don't want any part of this."

The spellchecker is right there. It's not like it is difficult to use either!
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:26 am
Sam says...

You click the button and it gives you suggestions...:P

Yes! Thank you snoinky!

(cue for angels to begin singing)
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:59 pm
smaur says...

Ugh, bad spelling. Thanks for pointing out why it sucks. With a dozen (or more) different spell-checking tools that can be found both online and offline, people have even less of an excuse now than they did before.

Also, one other thing: if you're using a spell-checker that offers you a variety of suggestions (most do, I think), check to make sure you're taking the right spelling. So if you, for some reason, mangled the spelling of "incident" into "indicent", and the spell-checker's first suggestion is "indecent" — don't take it. Scroll down till you find the right spelling, i.e. "incident", and use that one.

...having said all that: Wow. We have a spell check button!
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:33 pm
Sureal says...

Spell check is still far from perfect though. It will let loads of spelling and grammar mistakes through.

My personal advice - print off the piece and then go over it with a pencil or pen (not a black pen, as it won't show up against the black print... red pens work well). It's the easiest way to catch errors... for me anyway.
I wrote the above just for you.

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:43 pm
Galatea says...

Whatever you do, please please edit. One or two typos are usually acceptable. Even published works have errors on occasion. But the best way to make a negative impression is sloppy editing. Or no editing. If you don't care, why should I? Why should a publisher, for that matter?

On a side note, bad spelling and grammar puts people off in any situation. If you want to make a good impression online, use proper spelling and grammar.
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:13 pm
Elizabeth says...

*Brain goes into submission, refusing to work until this story has been edited*
WHY DID YOU DO THIS TO ME SNOINK? I THOUGHT WE WERE FRIENDS!!!
*Braindead zombie Elizabeth walk*

Anyway, yeah.... I was put off as soon as Naked was spelt wrong, I'm sorry. It would just lead to more misshapen people... I'm sure... *walks away*

It is only a novel... or, in short, only some work in which the greatest powers of the mind are displayed, in which the most thorough knowledge of human nature, the happiest delineation of its varieties, the liveliest effusions of wit and humour, are conveyed to the world in the best-chosen language
— Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey