z

Young Writers Society

Stories Suggestions

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:48 am
View Likes
xxHarukaVLxx says...

I'm not good at writing stories when it comes to fighting scenes. I can never describe the moves the characters in my stories well. Can anyone suggest a story that is a good example of writing and describing fighting scenes well?
Do reply soon! Thank you!

Reviews: 3
Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:33 pm
AuroraOrodel says...

When writing fight scenes, the specific moves are less important than the character's emotional and physical state. When I'm reading a fight scene, I'm less interested in how the character tucks and rolls to the ground and lunges and more interested in how heavy the sword feels, how they feel about their opponent, whether they've been injured and how that feels etc. Of course, describing moves is necessary, but really only when something important directly results from it. The first injury to the enemy or the killing blow, for instance, or a stupid move that results in the character being injured.

A lot depends on the kind of fighting and how the characters feel about the fighting. If you're looking for medieval style battles and sword fights, The Wheel of Time does a good job of this (though I wouldn't recommend it for much else), as does Mercedes Lackey's By the Sword and Exile's Honor. All three do a good job of showing fights where characters are confident and where they are scared half to death. The two Lackey books do a great job of showing how characters realistically learn fighting skills, as well (ie: it's really hard and painful!) I'm less familiar with stories involving modern weapons or fist fights, but the same guidelines still apply.
"You cannot pronounce as knowledge anything you cannot demonstrate."
~Margaret Atwood

"The good writers touch life often. The mediocre ones run a quick hand over her. The bad ones rape her and leave her for the flies."
~Fahrenheit 451

Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.
— Nelson Mandela