z

Young Writers Society

I'm over attached to chappies.....

104 Reviews

Reviews: 104
Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:24 am
View Likes
Joeducktape says...

I'm writing a story that flips back and forth between two different peoples' points of view, and they're supposed switch back and forth with each chapter, but my chapters are coming out only two or three pages on a word processor. So...

1) How much longer should they be, at least, for traditional book-writing

2) Are they long enough to post here?
Check my new and improved blog:

weblog.php?w=764

[/shameless plug]

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:42 am
View Likes
Elelel says...

I think you'll scare more critiquers away with longer posts than with shorter ones ... but I don't really know how long chapters ought to be, because you can really do whatever you like with them.

If you read a whole pile of different books, you'll find some books with fairly short chapters, and other's with really long ones. Some probably won't have chapters at all. If you keep writing a lot, your chapters will gradually lengthen. At least that's what happened for me. You get better at pacing and fleshing things out the right amount the more you write, and that's what happens. It's not really worth worrying about.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:03 am
Snoink says...

All my chapters are exactly three pages in length, lol. Being in book form stretches it out to be more like six. Remember... 1.5 spacing, Times, is an approximate page length for a book.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

"My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together."
— Bishop Desmond Tutu