z

Young Writers Society

HELP!!! My characters are becoming Twilight chracters!

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:53 pm
Sierra says...

I'm writing a novel and re-reading Twilight at the same time, and its definitely rubbing off on me. My main female character is starting to look like Bella Swan! Her personality is different, but there are some similarities. Her NAME is even similar: Ella. I don't know what to do! My character is so much her own person, i don't want to change her because of how much she is like Bella, but i do want to publish this someday, and i don't want to plagiarize!
Ella looks like this: waist slightly curly brown hair, very pale skin, big brown eyes and she looks very delicate, as if she will break if she falls over.

My MC (a boy) isn't nearly as bad. His 'voice' is a little bit like Edward's, but his personality it totally different. However, he's starting to look like Edward. He started out with black hair and amber eyes. Now he has very pale skin (this cannot be changed, he lives underground) dark blond hair, and blue eyes (amber is too close to gold) and i can't completely change what he looks like! He just happens to have amber eyes and blond hair. And be in the same story as a girl who looks like Bella Swan.

What do i do?!?!?!?!!
What a shame,
We used to be such fragile broken things.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:08 pm
Rosendorn says...

What do i do?!?!?!?!!

Nothing.

I've seen a bunch of characters between stories that look the same. There are only so many names and body shapes out there, and they are bound to overlap eventually. Unless you constantly reference your characters' looks (which I wouldn't recommend, as people tend not to notice too many details about a person after meeting them once or twice, unless they have crushes on each other [and even then, they don't always notice everything]) then people are probably going to create their own image of the character. People will probably create their own mental image of the character either way, no mater how much you give the characters' looks.

Their personality is the really important thing. If that's different, I don't see all that much of a problem.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:49 pm
Kale says...

And if your characters are changing into Twilight characters in more than just in appearance, there is a very simple solution to your problem: stop reading Twilight. Seriously. Anything you read influences your writing whether you consciously realize it or not. The more often you read it, the stronger the influence, and if you're reading something at the same time as you're writing something else, the influence becomes even stronger and more visible.

I suggest, until you finish writing the first draft at least, that you put down Twilight (and any other similar books you might be reading, or books that have a similar plot to your own), and that you go through your story with a sharp eye out for any uncanny coincidences between your story and Twilight. Plot details, specific events, character roles, etc. If something seems very similar to Twilight, chances are it did come from Twilight, and the changing character appearances are most likely just a symptom of even more unconscious copying.

Not to be alarming, but if you're concerned about copying Twilight, then there's probably a reason for it, other than just the change in your character's appearances.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:55 pm
Snoink says...

XD

This is quite a unique problem!

Anyway, if things are rubbing off on you, either stop writing temporarily (until you finish the book!), pick up another book and read it as well (balance it off a bit!), or stop reading Twilight.

In any case, don't worry too much about it. You'll probably edit it to oblivion later. ;)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:46 am
Kibble says...

I wouldn't be too worried about the appearance of characters. There are a limited number of human appearances, after all. However, if you find your characters are starting to act like Twilight (or any other book's) characters too much, you might want to consider not reading Twilight while writing your novel. Twilight will still be there after you write it!

I also think the Bella/Ella thing might be having a subconscious effect. It will feel weird for a while, but could you write Ella with a different name, so you don't get them muddled in your head? You can always find and replace "Ella" back in whe you've finished writing.

Good luck!
"You are altogether a human being, Jane? You are certain of that?"
"I conscientiously believe so, Mr Rochester."
~ Jane Eyre

367 Reviews

Reviews: 367
Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:41 pm
Mizzle says...

Sierra wrote:What do i do?!?!?!?!!

You can't really do anything; if a character has to look a certain way, then you don't have to change their looks just because there could be a slight resemblance to Edward Cullen or Bella Swan. In fact, when creating an entirely unique character it is more important to look at their personality and back-story than it is to look at their looks. Everyone has a picture in their mind of how their character should look, and quite honestly, Twilight & Harry Potter series are so popular that you are bound to have a character that looks like one of them.

Also, you can sit down and think about this for awhile. Are you changing your characters to be like Twilight's Edward & Bella because Stephanie Meyer is successful and you like her books? Or do your characters truly need to look halfway like them? Think about it.

And then again, you could just stop reading Twilight. ;)
"Chase your dreams, and remember me, speak bravery,
Because after all, those wings will take you up so high."
-- Owl City, "To the Sky"
✯ ✯ ✯

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:23 pm
Tigersprite says...

1) Stop reading Twilight. It's rubbish anyway.

2) If you can make your characters have distinct and unique personalities, and you have an original storyline, then you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

TIGERSPRITE
"A superman ... is, on account of certain superior qualities inherent in him, exempted from the ordinary laws which govern men. He is not liable for anything he may do."
Nathan Leopold

I tell the neophyte: Write a million words–the absolute best you can write, then throw it all away and bravely turn your back on what you have written. At that point, you’re ready to begin.
— David Eddings