z

Young Writers Society

question

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:54 pm
sabradan says...

I was thinking about writing a story about the holocaust, focusing on one person and his experience (a la "My name is Asher Lev", Chaim Potok) but I don't know how to go about doing it, and what style to do it in. Should I just write it flat out reularly, should I do a series of flashbacks? Should I do it as a journal?(I thought about this one, but I think it'd be really hard)....any other ideas?
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:07 pm
Firestarter says...

Focusing on one person's experience might be a little flat - why don't you consider introducing a different viewpoint? I think it would be interesting to do a cross-viewpoint ie. Have one character a Nazi, and another a Jew, and have them linked in some manner before the beginnings of the Holocaust or whatever. I think it would make for a more interesting and original story if you have an original perspective.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:21 am
Snoink says...

I would suggest flat out regularly, and I'm a fan of one person stories. For instance, The Upstairs Room is one of my favorite stories. The narrator narrates the story as it's usually done, and reflects on how her life is changing. So... something like that.

But read a lot of nonfiction on that subject before. ;) I've read some fiction from that time which absolutely SUCKS.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:15 pm
sabradan says...

thanks both of you. The only problem with your idea Jack is 1. I was planning on loosely basing the main character of a freind of my grandmothers' who was from Poland, not Germany which would mean they wouldn't have been able to meet before the war, methinks, also, 2.I wouldn't know how to write it from the Nazi viewpoint. But I know a lot about the holocaust, I've read plenty of period literature, as well as literature ABOUT the period, Ive been to Auschwitz-Berkenau, and Majdanek, as well as the warsaw ghetto, etc.

Oh yeah, that brings me to another point: I wanted to somehow incorporate the Warsaw ghetto uprising.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

Follow your passion. Stay true to yourself. Never follow someone else's path unless you're in the woods and you're lost and you see a path. By all means, you should follow that.
— Ellen DeGeneres