Young Writers Society

I need names!!

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:25 am
View Likes
InnerTurmoil says...

I need names for creatures!!!

If you have any ideas write down the name and a desription of the creature and post it!!

I'm looking for original stuff so nothing that's already out there like centaurs, unicorn... you know what I mean!!!

Thanks alot y'all!!!

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:56 am
View Likes
Elocina says...

I've already invented a critter or two. Here are the two that come to mind:

Wantic
Basically, they're miniature dragons with a bizzaro mentality. They measure up to 30'' long, are skinny, and aren't as territorial as dragons. Their skin color changes with their food. Most can teleport. They are only visible to those that they allow to see them. They live in colonies with a single queen as sole ruler.

Pristitch
Aligator/Crocodile things that run really good and are adapted to live in the Dunes. They are fairly intelligent, but not extremely so. Cold-blooded. Live in packs and are scavangers.

Any help?

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:56 pm
View Likes
Tessitore says...

Am I the only one that doesn't want readers to trip over words?

Look... you do already know what these aleged creatures are going to do, right? you do know that names mean absolutley nothing when it comes to what the can do... right?

Cause I stick it simple. Witches, druids, goblins, fae, vampires, etc. I don't fiddle with it much... and if they differ, I just say... "A different strain of the _____"

Cause it seems less... confusing. I'd get all those words mixed up. *hides under covers*
I'm not even angry... I'm being so sincere right now.
Even though you broke my heart.
And killed me... And tore me to pieces.
And threw every piece into a fire.
-"Still Alive"- GLaDOS

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:36 pm
View Likes
Perra says...

If you want names for original creatures, either look up foreign words describing important characteristics or read some mythology. If you find a word or name you like, change a letter or syllable. Or combine two words or names of creatures. I've done that for one or two.
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:12 pm
View Likes
InnerTurmoil says...

thx guys I know I'm currently reading Chinese and Japanese Mythology and I have some ideas but I like new names cuz it just gives a breath of fresh air kinda feel to it!!

Reviews: 1
Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:40 pm
View Likes
StormLord says...

Maybe you should first invent the creature, the name is the easy part
Building a better boneyard

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:45 pm
View Likes
Tessitore says...

I don't mean to be a jerk but I really recommend going by the K.I.S.S. standard:

Keep It Simple Stupid.

The best books are the simple ones (apart from, say, the Bible)
I'm not even angry... I'm being so sincere right now.
Even though you broke my heart.
And killed me... And tore me to pieces.
And threw every piece into a fire.
-"Still Alive"- GLaDOS

148 Reviews

Reviews: 148
Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:53 am
View Likes
ohhewwo says...

A thing I do for fantasy is this: type random consonants. then fill in places with vowels.

Mogykdormm

Iwyniceev

Objunian

Those are some I just now did! They sound kinda Nordic to me.

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:11 am
View Likes
the_red_gem says...

Hey,

I think that you should think of a random name then see what kinda monster/creature comes into your head. If its what your looking for use it if it turns out like a big blobby thing or something you don't want think of a new one. I like names like Sputnik and Darf/Darfey.

Hope you create a masterpiece

Random avatar

Reviews: 12
Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:41 am
View Likes
Morgaine says...

LOL That happens to me I think of a name and i end up thinking of something compleatly different!
anyway just think about wat u want to write about and let your imagination take over from there.
~Morgaine
The Narwhales Are Coming...
Beware

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:56 am
View Likes
Elelel says...

Well, the people in your words had to name them, so what do those languages sound like? And think aout it. I mean, there are creatures in the world calld things like the yellow footed rock wallaby. The only word to be actually invented for the purpose was wallaby, there rest was just a discription of sorts. And dinosaurs. THe words mean things. eg. Dino - terrible saur - lizard (dinosaur) Tyranosaurus Rex. Any guesses? Tyran comes from tryrant, saurus judging from before I'd same a similar thing to lizard and rex means king. Dinonycus (alright, I can't spell it, but I know what it means) Dino again is terrible, and the rest means claw. Terrible claw (it's a bigger meaner version of a veloceraptor in case your wondering, as seen in Jurasic Park -- can't spell either though and veloceraptor probably means fast predator btw)

*everyone looks at her* What!? My brother used to be obbsessed with dinosaurs! It rubbed off a little.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:50 am
Griffinkeeper says...

I wasn't staring was I?
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:56 am
View Likes
Elelel says...

Well, everyone but you then.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Tue May 10, 2005 12:32 am
View Likes
neonshorty says...

Here are a couple of websites I use for names of creatures. I also like to use foreign languages in my names.

http://www.mythcreatures.50megs.com/

http://babynames.com/

Isn't it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything's different?
— C.S. Lewis