z

Young Writers Society

Um... making up characters, i guess...

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:21 pm
scintillation says...

Ok, this will sound a bit weird at first but bear with me.

Think of ten random things. If you can, cast your your mind into nothing-ness (perhaps a white wall? works for me) and things will just pop up. e.g. my list :

paperclip
wig
dagger
balloon
semi-quaver
the sun
an old-fashioned water pump
a black hole
a nightingale (bird)
an envelope

What can you deduce from these things? For example, an obvious one is a dagger. Possibly your character is a murderer? Or is missing a body part due to a dagger? Another one, a paperclip. Used to attach things, usually paper. So, possibly this character has an obsessive compulsiveness. Get the idea?

I tried it last night and it started to become very funny as i got more and more imaginative...

N.B. And yes, i do know that 'nothing-ness' is not a word... (Or is it...)
-Nothing, like something, can happen anywhere.

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:13 pm
unique-individual says...

thanks for that

i can usually make-up characters but there's always a detail i should have included, maybe this will help

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:29 pm
Crysi says...

That is a really good idea. I'll have to try it sometime. Sounds entertaining. :D

127 Reviews

Reviews: 127
Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:17 pm
Rincewind says...

It is indeed a clever way to give your characters interesting quirks and personality traits.

My list of things:

Rum
Shadows
Ink
Berries
Beetle
Handcuffs
Hippo

and that was it. Hmmmm.
Upon experimentation, this doesnt seem to always work. Maybe I'm trying to hard.
~The bandit’s body slumped to the ground, knees hitting first,followed by the rest.His dead weight pushed dust into the air in a swirling cloud.The blood flowed from his head,splicing like river canals,delaying slightly on pebbles before flowing on through the street.~

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:38 pm
Crysi says...

Actually, I could come up with a lot with that. Maybe she's a villager who lives near a port, and traders/pirates often come to the village for supplies and women. The rum and shadows could suggest the pirates/traders, and maybe ink is valued there... Berries could be used for stains, or simply for food (trading, perhaps?), and beetles might be valued as well, almost worshipped, maybe. Handcuffs... Maybe not the traditional metal handcuffs, but simple ones made out of ropes, to take villagers away... And hippos can be quite vicious. A hippo attack might have wounded/crippled the girl.

*laughs* I can't just make a character, I have to make a whole story around it....

It's crazy how your life can be twisted upside down inside out and around and you can get sushi from safeway still looking like a normal person
— starchild314