z

Young Writers Society

I need help with dialouge!

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:04 pm
JordanEmert says...

I need major help with dialouge!

I don't know when to start a new paragraph when using dialouge.
I don't know where to put commas.
I don't know basically anything about dialouge and other writiers are always commenting about it.

I need help!
Please PM me or reply to this!

Thanks.

Jordan :wink:

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:19 pm
Carlito says...

When a new person begins talking you start a new paragraph.
With the comma thing there are a lot of different variables depending on what comes before and after the dialogue. Some one else can probably explain all of that better than me. (I'm epically bad at explaining things) :)
You don't need to put a 'said ___' after each piece of dialogue. Establish who is talking and then you can just say dialogue. Every once and a while you should tune back into who is talking so the reader doesn't get confused. After a page of little one line things people are saying, the reader will forget who's turn it is to talk but if you say '___ said' after each piece of dialogue that gets really annoying really fast.
Here's a really bad example: (I just came up with this one the spot)
"What's your favorite food?" Asked Suzie.
"I really like pie," said Billy, "What about you?"
"I like pie too! What's your favorite kind?"
"Apple, but I also really enjoy blueberry."
"Strawberry is my favorite. Pumpkin is really good too."
"My mom makes the best apple pie, that's why it's my favorite."
"My aunt has a secret family recipe for strawberry pie and it's really good."
"I'll have to try it sometime," said Billy.
"You should. Maybe it'll become your favorite."

The best way to learn is just to practice. When you submit a story or something just put a little note saying that you're struggling with dialogue. Then people will know so when they review they can show you in context of your story. It'll probably make more sense then.
Hope I helped a little bit!
If something isn't clear or you have questions, feel free to PM me :D
Good luck!
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:08 am
Fishr says...

Dialogue is one of if not THE most difficult elements in all of literature. There are so many factors that need to be automatic in one's mind before writing it down. However, what I speak of is mastering the concept of writing natural and realistic speech with each character, which unfortunately is something I cannot teach you but a skill that will eventually evolve with practice in time - promise. For a good primer though, get into the habit of carrying a notebook with you and pencil so that you can record speech patters, body postures, expressions, clothing styles, etc. Not only will it help with establishing solid dialogue but recording while your people watching helps the writer in so many other ways.

I know you're only interested in grasping the basic concepts of dialogue and I sort of went down a different path, but while Tune22 gave you good advice, try and just open a book. Perhaps a particular book you especially enjoy so it will hold your interest. Open this book you've selected, preferably one that has an author who is fond of speech and there is not blocks of text, and observe how they write their dialogue.

So yes, everytime a new character speaks, a new line must be made but watch closely how this author envokes each character's speech into a special quality that sets them apart for the other characters. Dialogue alone can tell a very detailed story, which often can lead to the core of a juicey plot. The reader will learn their traits (good and downright terrible), hopes/dreams, outlooks on life, how they feel about the other characters (if there is more than one person other than your MC in this one scene you've created) and so forth.

If you like, I'm rather fond *addicted* to dialogue, and if it'll be easier, almost all of my recent stories from late 2006 to today use mainly speech except I write Historic Fiction, which may not be your cup of coffee but you are asking advice how to basically train your mind. So, if you cannot find a book at home that has lots of dialogue to study, some of my short stories might at least get you in the rythem of things. However, if do choose to browse through my portfolio, do NOT feel inclined to critique anything. You are only browsing my work to get a firm grasp on how to write dialogue so do not feel obligated in editing anything. It's not required. Also, while Historic Fiction is probably not high on your list to read, remember you are only browsing my stories to learn how to write dialogue. So, really negate everything else that's going on and hone in on the speech.

Learn it, love it, and fully embrace the power of speech. ;)
Cheers!
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:56 pm
View Likes
Gahks says...

Make your dialogue visual! In films and TV series, characters are always doing something while talking. Use background and setting to anchor your dialogue in some sort of context. E.g.:

“I want to dance with Mark and Carrie,” she bawled.

He smiled. “Can’t you see they’re busy? Look at me; I’m all by myself. Won’t you dance with me instead?”

She folded her arms and glared. “No, Uncle Gavin. You can’t.”

“Please?” He offered her a note. “I’ll pay you some more.”

She took the money and didn’t say another word.

Hope this helps.

Gahks
"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." William Faulkner.

Do you do poetry? Check out Poetry Inspiration over in Groups!

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:47 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

Read. Seriously, that's the best way to get the feel of dialogue. Read books with a lot of character interaction. The Mortal Instruments trilogy by Cassandra Clare has a ton of dialogue in it; The Time Quartet by Madeleine L'Engle does too. But that's honestly how I learned to write dialogue - I read it.

Also, listen to how people talk if you're thinking about context and what sounds realistic. It can give you great ideas for conversations if you eavesdrop a little. :)
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

Poetry is my cheap means of transportation. By the end of the poem the reader should be in a different place from where he started. I would like him to be slightly disoriented at the end, like I drove him outside of town at night and dropped him off in a cornfield.
— Billy Collins