z

Young Writers Society

Focussing on a plot

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:33 am
happy-go-lucky says...

Ok, so I've got my book planned out. I've got the characters planned out. I know exactly what I have to do. The only trouble is: staying in focus. How can i keep my concentration on writing? It used to be pretty much all i thought about, but now my mind keeps getting distracted. Any tips?
"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world"
- Oscar Wilde

Reviews: 0
Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:40 am
ldsprincess says...

Lock yourself up in your room...BUT. Un-plug the stereo and anything else!
"She's got it out for me but I wear the biggest smile!"
-Misery Buisness by Paramore

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:01 am
CaitE Baloney says...

I have this problem a lot. What I feel helps is to pretend that this is your job and thus you must do it to get your pay check, or in this case the satisfaction of actually writing it. You could also reward yourself if the satisfaction isn't good enough.

hope I helped

Cait
"No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader."-Robert Frost

"Dreams are the future in rough draft."

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:03 am
Sureal says...

Turn off the internet.
I wrote the above just for you.

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:42 am
Kibble says...

I have this problem too - plotting is a lot of fun but writing can start to seem like a chore sometimes. I've found it's helpful to read all the time, and I mean ALL the time, like have a book everywhere and read, whereever you are. Somehow this makes it easier to write. Also, keep adding little details and quirks to the plot - this gives you the fun of creating new stuff, as well as writing what's already planned out in your head. You can delete them during editing if they're not great, but extra details (such as giving a character an unusual feature, such as a lawyer with a nose ring) often add to the plot. Don't get too distracted, though.

Lately I've also taken to writing synopses when I'm bored. It makes you feel good about your writing because describing it in a synopsis sounds very professional. This will also come in handy later on if you decide to submit it anywhere, and having a synopsis can help remind you where the plot is supposed to be going if you get stuck.
"You are altogether a human being, Jane? You are certain of that?"
"I conscientiously believe so, Mr Rochester."
~ Jane Eyre

It's been many years since I had such an exemplary vegetable.
— Mr Collins, Pride and Prejudice