z

Young Writers Society

7 hints for writing a good story

233 Reviews

Reviews: 233
Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:27 pm
Chirantha says...

Firstly, what makes up a good story? A plot. and then it needs important points leading up to that plot.
You should not dwell too long on minor points, and should describe the places and stuff like that so it can create an imaginary picture in the reader's mind.

Okay, here are the hints,

1. As I already said, see that you have a clear plot in mind before you write.

2. Construct a sort of plan about the points leading up to the plot making it like an order. And be sure not to leave out any point.

3. Be sure to connect the points naturally so that it makes a flaw. Otherwise it will be flawless and disconnected. You must use your imagination to filling in the details with action, descriptions and dialogue to connect the points.

4. Try to put Dialogues or conversations every here and then, writing a lot of description makes the reader bored.

5. Make cliff-hangers at the end of chapters and parts so that it makes the reader curious about what would happen next, adds a bit of an interest.

6. The title of the story should be made so that it is connected to the meaning or the plot of the story.

7. After you had written it, make sure that it is a grammatically and spellingly (couldn't find a word) good story. Revise your story and if necessary re-write it.

Well, those are the 7 hints.

If you use them well, you can make a skeleton of the story.

Good luck.
Warden: "If you want to lead, all you have to do is ask."
Alistair: "What? Lead? Me? No, no, no. No leading. Bad things happen when I lead. We get lost, people die, and the next thing you know I'm stranded somewhere without any pants."
- Dragon Age

Need a review?

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:52 pm
Rakun says...

I got, I will keep the 7 hints while writing my novel.
Thanks for your knowledge my writer friend, I will appreciate that.
Don't matter what, just WRITE!

Do you YWS?

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:03 am
Lena says...

I like what you said about the descriptions. Sometimes when there is a lot of descriptions I just skip to the dialogue.
she's a runner, rebel and a stunner, lookin' down the barrel of a hot metal .45, just another way to survive...

myspace? http://www.myspace.com

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:34 am
Firestalker says...

Your 1st point has a flaw though. One does not have to think of the whole plot before writing the story. I usually think of the first chapter and make up the plot as i write. Other than that your tips are useful. Thanks fr the tips. :wink:
--
Who is not Insane one man ask, the answer being a fool.
Are you Insane the same man asks, - "Oh yes!. The Mad Hatter being saner!"

Reviews: 2
Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:21 pm
dailystatic says...

Firestalker I agree, but I also agree with Chirantha a bit. Perhaps it's different for other writers, but just having a clear vision of where you want to go is important. But laying EVERYTHING out right away has its advantages (keeps you focused) along with disadvantages (can interrupt abrupt inspiration.)

These 7 hints are perfect though!
"Procrastination - do it now, don't put it off," - Ellen DeGeneres

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:37 pm
Firestalker says...

Which is exactly what i am saying. I said it was a minor flaw, i didn't say it was wrong :?
--
Who is not Insane one man ask, the answer being a fool.
Are you Insane the same man asks, - "Oh yes!. The Mad Hatter being saner!"

If you have to ask, "Is this cliche?", it probably is.
— - no name -