z

Young Writers Society

Motivation - Writer's Block? Procrastination?

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:52 pm
Sakah says...

Okay, so one of my buddies has all sorts of ideas for fanfics/stories (he loves manga, SciFi, etc) but he told me that he doesn't have any motivation to write!

I really want to help him out (he is one seriously funny guy and I bet he would write some hilarious stuff) but I'm not sure how to help motivate him to write! Maybe he has Writer's Block *shrugs*

What tips do you lovely people suggest I tell him?
Music is like candy, you have to throw away the wrappers ^-^

"Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated." — Confucius

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:40 pm
Carlito says...

I'm like this a lot. I'll have 'bursts' for lack of a better term, where the creative juice just flows and I can get a lot written. Once the creative juice is gone I don't have any motivation to write and if I do I think it sounds bad.
I guess my advice would be just not to push it. When you're ready to write you'll know and the work will be better than if you force it. Just think about the characters and the plot a lot and eventually you'll get the 'spark' to write. :)

Reviews: 0
Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:18 pm
A Flawed Paradise says...

Well, I wrote a piece on procrastination and sorta-ish Writer's Block. Although, people didn't take to it too much but, either way, here's the link if you and your friend would like to check it out.

topic34193.html
Our world is a flawed paradise, filled with flawed perfection, and created by a flawed, omniscient creator. So what chance do we have of creating flawless art?

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:01 pm
Black Ghost says...

Maybe your friend should engage in activities that causes him to feel inspired or creative. Because I know first hand what it's like to write when you have no motivation whatsoever. Everything that ends up coming out gets deleted almost immediately afterwards xD.

I woud just advise your friend not to stress about it. Like I said, he should just find things to do that would get him in the "mood" for writing. This could be doing certain activities, or maybe just being in a certain relaxing place that gets the juices flowing. I found its not wise to try to force creativity and enthusiasm, but instead to try to nudge them out of hiding. :)

[s]BlackGhost[/s]

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:42 am
patience_isnt says...

Like what almost everyone else said, don't push it. I like writing when I'm alone, and it's quiet so I can think. Maybe he's the same. I would just tell him that it would be a good idea to maybe write a short story and that he'd be good at it. Don't pester him, and if you just tell him once, I'm sure he'll try it out. If you're good friends, he'll believe you and try it out. And maybe you're right and he'll make next classic.
"Whoa, whoa, whoa! What are you girls doing?"

"Peeing on a stick, you wanna try?"

-My C, Nick, and MC, Kayla.

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:57 am
Sakah says...

Thank you guys for your tips, I told him some of these in e-mail ^-^ Maybe I'll even convince him to join YWS if he would like to someday.
Music is like candy, you have to throw away the wrappers ^-^

"Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated." — Confucius

We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.
— Ernest Hemingway