z

Young Writers Society

tips for journal-style?

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:09 am
sabradan says...

Ok, heres the deal:
I want to write a short story about a kid that survives the holocaust/Warsaw ghetto uprising/whatever and survives it all and moves to israel and joins the palmach (underground strike forces) etc. and I want to do it as a chronicle of his life, in journal format, but I have no idea how to do it while still keeping the detail that is my trademark.

Any ideas, tips or help?

HELP ME PLEASE!
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:34 am
Snoink says...

Read "Diary of a Young Girl" by Anne Frank. She is one of the best teenage writers ever and her story is about what you want to write about. No happy ending, but it is great reading.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:42 pm
Rei says...

Definitely, reading Anne Frank's diary is a great place to start. Also, read any published diaries/journals you can get yuor hands on. The real ones are better, though. The fictions ones I've read don't seem like real diaries to me. Keep your own journal for a while so you can practice with something you are more familiar with than the holocaust. Doing research on that time and place is really important as well.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

Random avatar

Reviews: 32
Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:54 am
J. Wilder says...

Most fictional journals don't seem real because the writer acts like the character has a perfect memory. If it's night, most people can't remember in exact wording the first conversation they had in the morning. They'll remember that they had a conversation, who it was with and what it was about, but they're not going to be able to use exact quotes very often.

I agree with the other people who posted, you should read nonfiction published journals.

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:42 am
Elelel says...

Tee hee, THE BLOGS!!!

We've got our own suply of journals right here, just brimming with what real people write about their real lives. Who knew they'd have such uses? Of course, you wouldn't be able to tell a stroy very clearly by the blog method; Most of the time people just write what they're feeling, not what's happened to them.

Some people uses quotes though ... I'm pretty good at remembering conversations to a tee.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:54 pm
Sam says...

Yeah. Just read El's blog! I'll go through and make you a list of ones you could read that tell stories/quotes.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:24 pm
Emma says...

Yeah, blogs could be pretty useful!!

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:05 am
Elelel says...

If you read my blog ... just remember I think it's that way because I'm a writer. I write everything like I would if I were writing a story (with no plot). So ... that could have affected it, but feel free to read it if you like, just be warned: I don't think it's NORMAL!!!
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:50 pm
View Likes
yoha_ahoy says...

Research and find out as much as you can about "the holocaust/Warsaw ghetto uprising... isreal and the palmach (underground strike forces) etc." And get into your characters head. Know everything about these subjects because if your writing from his point of veiw about his life, you have to know pretty much everything about it. (I think you'r talking about a guy???) I've tried writing a story journal style and its hard. Good Luck! :wink:
@(^_^)@
Got YWS?

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:29 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

I would also look for the journals of the survivors of the holocaust. Also research the Israeli Movement.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

I want to shake off the dust of this one-horse town. I want to explore the world. I want to watch TV in a different time zone. I want to visit strange, exotic malls...I want to live, Marge! Won't you let me live?
— Homer Simpson