z

Young Writers Society

The Procrastinating Writer

Reviews: 0
Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:29 pm
A Flawed Paradise says...

Here’s a few tips for those of you who can’t seem to finish that best-selling novel you’ve been working on for ages.

First of all, writer’s block does not last more than a few years and if it does for you I think it’s safe to say that it’s not happening, simple as that. So avoid falling into a ‘false’ writer’s block as you may never come back, learn to differentiate between writer’s block and procrastination. Furthermore, it’s not writer’s block if you haven’t started writing, leading me to my next point.

I think a majority of people fall into the procrastination loop when they rely on planning out their story solely in their head. I mean, obviously, you’re going to use your head, don’t get smart with me, but what I’m saying is that a lot of people like to day dream about their novels and its plots. The problem with that is, more often than not, the story never becomes anything more than a day dream due to you’re constant changing and replacing of ideas. This is problematic in many different ways, mostly because nothing ever gets done as there will always be a better idea. At some point you have to go with what you got and change it later. If you never write anything down you tend to forget things and sometimes the new ideas aren’t always the best ones. By having some sort of recording of ALL your ideas it gives you the option to mix and match and, overall, come up with the best plot possible. I’ve also notice that if you have the habit of planning your stories in your head, you reach a point where the point of the story becomes lost to you and you end up scrapping the whole idea, even if the original idea really was the next best-seller. Also, you can't really beam your stories into our heads, can you? So it's a smart idea to write things down.

Next, those of you who know your procrastinators and insist on writing on Microsoft Word, this is for you. It doesn’t work! It just doesn’t. Computers are way too distracting. You will always find something else to do. There’s games, there’s AIM/MSN/Yahoo messengers, there’s movies, pics, music, ect., but above all there’s the internet. I know that sometimes I need some information on a war in 1672 or whatever, I open up a web browser, get on Wiki, next thing I know five hours have gone by and I’m on Neopets breeding two only god knows what. It happens to the best of us. If you KNOW you have a procrastination problem, I suggest you buy a journal and a pen. You’ll find that you will get loads more done that way, trust me.

“But I need Micro Word for my spelling!”

Get a dictionary.

“But I need to research something!”

Libraries are not instinct, last time I checked.

“But my grammar!”

I’m sorry, I though you were a writer?

Of course, I exaggerate a little but in all reality if you know you have a problem with procrastination, I would avoid using a computer to get your work done. Try a typewriter. ^^

And lastly, my final but probably most helpful piece of advice for you procrastinators is to treat your writing like a job rather than hobby, you’ll find that you’ll get a lot more done this way. Set the alarm clock early, wake up, take a shower, and dress as you would for a job. Set working hours and have a working space. Turn off you cell-phone, unplug your internet (Typewriter anyone?), and limit unnecessary breaks "just because you can". Get to work and don’t stop until clock out hour. Of course, if your grandmother is in the hospital go visit her…or don’t (XD), but try to be strict enough so you actually see some sort of measurable results in your writing.

So there you have it, that’s that, a little advice from me on how to have that next best-selling novel out as soon as possible. Comments, questions, or disagreements are welcomed. Thanks for listening!

-Flaw
Our world is a flawed paradise, filled with flawed perfection, and created by a flawed, omniscient creator. So what chance do we have of creating flawless art?

96 Reviews

Reviews: 96
Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:59 am
flytodreams says...

Hi,
Thanks for posting this!! It really helped me.
Be yourself; everybody else is already taken.

I came, I saw, I conquered.

When you're being nice to your character, you're being bad to your book.

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:16 pm
Meep says...

While I agree with some of it, I have to pointedly disagree with not using computers. I can't write by hand. Can't. All that happens is I write quickly and then can't read it later; I've lost entire stories this way. (Plus, I can type considerably faster, anyway.) There are full screen, distraction free word processing programs available (WriteRoom & Scrinvener for Mac, and I'm sure one exists for PC as well) that cut the clutter of regular computer usage and allow people with atrocious handwriting (eg: me) to still type it up. (Oh, and at least those two have spell check.)

Second, I'd have to say that writer's block can also be when you haven't started writing. You've never, ever had that happen, where you can't even daydream properly because you don't have any ideas? Yeah, it happens. (Also, wasn't there an author who supposedly had writer's block for something like nine years? Again, it happens.)

The big thing you have to remember when you write these manifestos is that everyone writes differently. I write hundreds of drafts in my head at inopportune times - on the train, walking to class, right before bed - when I can't have a notebook or computer with me and eventually I write those ideas down and that works wonderfully for me. Some people, maybe not so much, but since everyone's different, it doesn't matter.
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:03 pm
ldsprincess says...

Meep wrote:While I agree with some of it, I have to pointedly disagree with not using computers. I can't write by hand. Can't. All that happens is I write quickly and then can't read it later; I've lost entire stories this way. (Plus, I can type considerably faster, anyway.) There are full screen, distraction free word processing programs available (WriteRoom & Scrinvener for Mac, and I'm sure one exists for PC as well) that cut the clutter of regular computer usage and allow people with atrocious handwriting (eg: me) to still type it up. (Oh, and at least those two have spell check.)

Second, I'd have to say that writer's block can also be when you haven't started writing. You've never, ever had that happen, where you can't even daydream properly because you don't have any ideas? Yeah, it happens. (Also, wasn't there an author who supposedly had writer's block for something like nine years? Again, it happens.)

The big thing you have to remember when you write these manifestos is that everyone writes differently. I write hundreds of drafts in my head at inopportune times - on the train, walking to class, right before bed - when I can't have a notebook or computer with me and eventually I write those ideas down and that works wonderfully for me. Some people, maybe not so much, but since everyone's different, it doesn't matter.

I have to agree Meep. (this also gives me some hope...lol)
"She's got it out for me but I wear the biggest smile!"
-Misery Buisness by Paramore

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:54 pm
alwaysawriter says...

I agree with Meep too. I've been on writer's block for a few months and I can't tell you the last time I daydreamed outside of school.
Meshugenah says to (18:12:36):
Kat's my new favorite. other than Sachi.

WWJD: What Would Jabber Do?

Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:41 pm

Oh my, disagreement! Woe is me, what am I to do?! Well, chucks, I think I'm gonna argue back! =P That being said, I think my first and most powerful counterargument, Meep, is that you reconsider my audience: The Procrastinating Writer. You, obviously, don’t have a procrastinating nature, so I think a majority of the things I said did not apply to you. For example, you have “atrocious handwriting” and that’s fine because you, personally, can use a computer and not get distracted. However, believe me when I say that someone who truly has a problem with uncontrollable procrastination, cannot help but become distracted (even with WriteRoom & Scrinvener). Therefore, for the sake of the piece of work and its completion, I think its best that the writer resort to other means. I suggesting a journal or a typewriter in case like Meep, you have bad handwriting. Then, in the editing stage, by all means use a computer, now that the work is done, there's nothing to procrastinate. On a side note, as a writer, don’t you think that penmanship is important? Important enough to work on it rather than avoid writing “atrociously”? I dunno, maybe I’m just full of it. =P

Again, reconsider my audience. However here, I actually concede a little, ‘cause I wasn’t very clear. I was very strict and pragmatic when I said something along the lines of "forgot about it if it's taking you [A procrastinator] more than a few years to come up with a single, reasonable, and usable idea." I do think here’s where I wasn’t very clear. I still stand by this idea, however, what I want to add is that yes, it is possible to have a massive writer’s block, but only if it’s really that, a writer’s block.

So avoid falling into a ‘false’ writer’s block as you may never come back, learn to differentiate between writer’s block and procrastination.

More often than not, those long, extended writer’s block for procrastinators, is, in fact, procrastination.

Lastly, I’m gonna argue this one by quoting, bolding, and explaining.

I think a majority of people fall into the procrastination loop when they rely on planning out their story solely in their head.

…when I can't have a notebook or computer with me and eventually I write those ideas down and that works wonderfully for me.

Alas, “.. eventually I write those idea down...” and another case as, not to say it rudely, I wasn’t talking to you and even my context backs me up this time. I’ve noticed that most procrastinators, obviously not you, solely plan their stories in their head, keep them there for ages, and then never get to it. That being the case, nothing ever gets written down and the piece is never revealed to the public.

So, ta-da! I think this is a fairly well supported argument, but please, tell me I’m still in the wrong.

-Flaw

P.S I love the use of manifestos, one of the coolest words ever!
Our world is a flawed paradise, filled with flawed perfection, and created by a flawed, omniscient creator. So what chance do we have of creating flawless art?

142 Reviews

Reviews: 142
Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:06 am
Bella says...

I found some of this to be somewhat helpful, and some of it to be kinda rude (no offense, just my opinion).

I have to agree with Meep - while I do write in both notebooks and via Microsoft Word, my better writing is done at the computer. I find that I get my thoughts out faster because I type faster, and I am much more comfortable at the computer than in a random room with a notebook and pencil.

Also, I think it makes writing harder when I force it upon myself constantly. I write because I love to write, not because I have to. If I force myself to wake up and write, writing will become a chore for me, and I won't love it anymore. And if that happened I would no longer be Bella. And that would be quite unfortunate...

That's all.

:)

~Bella Bambina~
i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart) <3

Please review my performance poem?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:32 am
Snoink says...

If the writer procrastinates as badly as you imply, then that person was never a writer in the first place. After all, to be a writer implies that the person actually writes. ;)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:24 pm
ldsprincess says...

I'm dead...lol
"She's got it out for me but I wear the biggest smile!"
-Misery Buisness by Paramore

Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:52 pm

Snoink wrote:If the writer procrastinates as badly as you imply, then that person was never a writer in the first place. After all, to be a writer implies that the person actually writes. ;)

Touché. I give. I was never trying to be rude. You see, I use to have a massive procrastination problem, and to me it seemed that these were measure I took to make sure I was doing what I needed to do. I love writing, and I always will love writing, it’ll never be a chore, but sometimes I need to buckle down if I want to make a successful career out of it, which I plan to. I thought maybe others were in the same boat but apparently not. ^^

“How to“ books, not for me. Got it.

France... doesn't exist?
— WeepingWisteria