z

Young Writers Society

Odd way of writing

Reviews: 0
Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:30 pm
StrangeNerd says...

With my story (Uncrossed Stars FTW!!!), I write all my favourite bits first and then do the inbetween parts. Does anyone else write that way? With all of my other stories I've started from the beginning and worked it through from there and that never worked out. But now I'm using that technique, I've written nearly 85 pages so far and over 48,000 words (only 52,000 to go! XD).
Sorry, this is a really stupid thread (what can I say, I'm a n00b!) but I was just wondering if anyone else writes like that.
Actually, just to add, I'm very unorthodox and I didn't plan Uncrossed Stars either. Most of the ideas I just randomly thought of whilst walking somewhere and probably my most important plot detail came to me in a P.E. lesson, lol.
Are my ways of writing awful and is my story doomed to unfinishedom (that's a pretty cool fake word)?

Random avatar

Reviews: 4
Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:00 pm
bc3553 says...

Well I'll skip ahead sometimes if I'm stuck, but I wouldnt just write my favorite parts first. I'd get too confused. But yeah, i never plan my stories really. I mean once I have a plot and characters I just write.
But I'm sort of liking writing my favorite parts first and doing inbetween stuff later...Maybe I'll try that out sometime. I'll let you know.

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:36 pm
xxfourthelement says...

Actually, I do something similar - I write scenes that are BEGGING to be written, then figure out how to work up to them. (I usually end up rewriting them a little, though!)
"...I laugh, and laugh, and laugh. Sometimes I can stop laughing before people start edging away and talking about soothing drinks." - Lord Raould of Goldenlake and Malorie's Peak

Free Reviews

Random avatar

Reviews: 115
Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:41 pm
andimlovegalore says...

I sort of do this, but mostly accidentally. Like I write a part then realise I don't want it in until later on so I just put it in another file and carry on from where I was meant to be ^_~ it's a pretty weird way to do it I guess... but whatever gets the job done! As long as you're writing then it can't be wrong ^__^

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:53 pm
HC says...

If it works for you, it works for you. It's not the way of writing, generally, but the writing itself and plot that keeps it going. If this works better, and you've got this far, it is likely this is working with you. I, personally, do not do this. I can't even imagine it! I write everything in order, never missing out a bit, never adding anything if I think of it later, instead leaving until the re-write/second draft.

Maybe I should try this some time. But I doubt I will. Sounds to confusing. I think in a disorganised way, but write in order.

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:48 pm
alwaysawriter says...

I do that sometimes. When I realize it, I can't think of how to fix it and I have no choice but to stop the story.

As of the most important plot detail in the middle of PE, that happens to me all the time. Generally in Math, though, when I can't manage to concentrate anyway. I don't think me whinning "But I just had a part of my story come to me!" would go over real well. :)
Meshugenah says to (18:12:36):
Kat's my new favorite. other than Sachi.

WWJD: What Would Jabber Do?

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:00 pm
cheese9975 says...

What I've been doing is writing the story from start to finish, but then if I think of another part that's far off, occasionally I'll write that, so that I keep the story going in the right direction. I never, ever, ever, plan my stories from start to finish before I write them. Usually it just comes as I write.
"The manatee has become the mento." -Tracy Jordan

"Live every week like it's shark week." -Tracy Jordan
^30 Rock is love

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:20 pm
GryphonFledgling says...

Meh, I've pseudo-written one story this way, but the reason only "pseudo" is I would write the juicy scenes, but not those that led up to them, so I never actually wrote the entire thing.

I tend to write the entire thing from start to finish. It helps me think and it gives me something to look forward to, since I know that a good scene will be coming up soon.
I am reminded of the babe by you.

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:24 am
lyrical_sunshine says...

Like Gryph, I think if I only wrote my favorite parts, I would never finish the book. *shrug* Plus it gives me something to look forward to if I'm excited to write a scene later in the novel.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:37 am
Clo says...

I'm beginning to feel like an OCD writer. I always HAVE to write my story in order. After I've written it, I may go and add things in between. I don't know. I'm beginning to think I should experiment with this sort of thing.
How am I not myself?

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:07 pm
ina says...

I do this all the time. If I have a good plot idea in my head, and perfect characters to match them, sometimes I daydream up random scenes. So I just write down the scenes that come to me no matter what point of the plot they're in. Really, I think it is better to write this way, because your writing is better when it comes naturally, rather than forcing yourself to work through it in order. I know Stephenie Meyer said that for the last three books of the series, she wrote this way. But the only way it works is if you have an outline, or at least a very good idea of what's going to happen from beginning to end, that way you can just fit the scenes you write in like a puzzle. If you're unorganized, everything just tends to fall everywhere. This has happened to me as well. x_x

I think the only time I actually started at the beginning and didn't skip around for a novel was for NaNoWriMo. Unfortunately, that novel never became anything other than a draft because my plot was incomplete and I had no idea how I was going to end it. I didn't really plan that story at all, anyway. Heh... but it was good writing practice.

Ahh, now I'm rambling. Well, in case you thought tl;dr, my point is that a lot of people write like that and it's not odd at all. If it works for you, go for it.
"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt." -- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five

Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:22 pm
StrangeNerd says...

I guess I am weird then, haha.
I know pretty much what's going to happen - I've written the beginning and the ending and most of the stuff in between, but sometimes random ideas pop up and I incorporate them into my story.
Like yesterday, I came up with a completely brand new character and I absolutely adore him. :D
If you're reading this, then you will have realised that I have a rubbish sig.

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:56 am
patience_isnt says...

No, but I've tried it. I tend to get confused. But I don't ever use a Pre-Write of any kind. You know, brainstorming or anything. I just write, and most of the time it doesn't even have much of a plot. And then I just edit the crap out of it. Then, I compare what I started out with and the final product to look at how far I've come.

If I wrote all my favourite parts first, then I would be bored to tears writing all the boring junk after. Like I said, I'd get confused. I'm very organized in the first place, so changing the order of everything would just get me so confused. 8)
"Whoa, whoa, whoa! What are you girls doing?"

"Peeing on a stick, you wanna try?"

-My C, Nick, and MC, Kayla.

344 Reviews

Reviews: 344
Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:20 pm
Eimear says...

I always write the end before I begin. If it worked for J.K Rowling, it works for me. Then I go through things like character outlines, theme, what the places and landmarks are going to be called, what sort of atmosphere and music would best suit my story.

Then I write out all the key pieces- and put it all together like a big jigsaw.

It works magically, I assure you.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde.

Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:04 pm
StrangeNerd says...

Ooh! Just had a random plot-related epiphany.
How cool. 8)
If you're reading this, then you will have realised that I have a rubbish sig.

I was promis'd on a time, To have a reason for my rhyme: From that time unto this season, I receiv'd nor rhyme nor reason.
— Edmund Spenser