z

Young Writers Society

help!

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:07 pm
View Likes
KailaMarie says...

i wrote a lot on a novel i'm hoping to complete this summer, and then i started looking around online (which was great because i found this site! =D) but it was also bad, because so many places said you needed to make an outline for a book before you write it, and i don't know how this one is going to end exactly, so now i feel stuck because everytime i try to write i keep thinking "where is this leading?" and it's messing me up.

do i need to make an outline??? =/
... :D ...
[url]spottedturtle.tumblr.com[/url]

168 Reviews

Reviews: 168
Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:29 pm
Swottielottie says...

Well, its usually a good thing to write an outline, however brief, just so you know where your story is generally heading.
But I don't think it's compulsory. I outlined about 10 chapters in advance but I still don't even know how my book will end, so it's not very helpful.

If you're already halfway through your book I wouldn't suggest writing a full in depth plan of each chapter, but maybe a couple of notes to you have a idea of the ending.

Or, just sort it out in our head until you feel you are ready to go on.

~Charlotte

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:39 pm
ProfessorRabbit says...

I always have that problem. I have what I think is a great idea and I start writing about it, but then I find myself sort of wandering around in writing limbo because I don't know where the story is headed. It's such a pain.

I used to be one of those people who always said, "I don't need no damn outline." Then, when I realized why I was failing so much at writing, I changed my tune: "Outlines are remarkably useful." XD
Frylock, please, no books! I can't read; I'm not a loser!
-Master Shake

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:49 pm
Fishr says...

Uh hem... *coughs* At the risk of sounding unorthadox (even though I am), I never write outlines. I actually deplore, despise, hate, you get the point, yes? The reason I choose not to write an outline is because I end up feeling that I have to follow this pretty little layout that I've constructed and thus it throws me off course. After all, it's not YOUR story but your characters. I write as the story unfolds and later I review, then edit. I can go through sometimes seven or more revisions before I'm remotely satisfied. For this reason, I suggest in getting used to rereading material and grow accustomed to editing - there will be a lot.

As to your problem of "where is this leading?" With one of my novels, I wrote the ending first, and am working off the conclusion by leading up to that dreaded day. Try that. Write the end of your story first then, write up to that point or try writing to the climax of your story, then see if there is an ending underfoot.

G'luck!
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:54 pm
KailaMarie says...

I never write outlines. I actually deplore, despise, hate, you get the point, yes?

lol. that's just how i feel.

actually, know where i'm going in the next couple chapters but i'm not sure what the very end is going to be. but maybe i'll just try to keep writing and see where it leads?
(i just feel like i should know what's going to happenbecause there's going to be a contest in it, and i think i should know hwo wins, but maybe i'll write it out and see what happens as i write it?) hmmf.

well thanks everyone! i'll try it.
... :D ...
[url]spottedturtle.tumblr.com[/url]

I send you buckets full of stars, the prettiest rainbow I've ever seen and a really adorable unicorn
— Zenith