z

Young Writers Society

How to string everything together

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:45 pm
.katsuro. says...

I really need help! I've been trying to write a book for, oh, probably 2 years now, but I can't seem to put it all together. Well in fact, I can't even string a whole 20 pages together.. :oops: See I've got all my ideas, lots of ideas, but I just don't know how to get from one point to the next.. any advice?

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:11 am
Sam says...

Hey, katsuro!

Errgh, I have that problem a lot, too. My favorite way of dealing with it, though, is to grab a stack of blank index cards and a pencil. Then, I make a separate card for every scene I have running through my head, and spread them out on the floor. From there, I can arrange them make a timeline--even if there are huge gaps, I know at least in which order events happen. And if I need a little help getting from one event to the next, I know where to begin and where the most gaps happen, too.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

19 Reviews

Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:21 am
.katsuro. says...

Wow! I really like this idea! I might just go try it right now! Thanks so much! You are a lifesaver. =]

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:34 am
Meep says...

If you're like me (ie: a computer addict) there are programs that let you do just that, just virtually. :) It depends on your preference for computer vs. pen & pencil. (If you're looking for an e-version, you might start at this thread.)
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

19 Reviews

Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:25 pm
.katsuro. says...

Ooh thankyou, I'll give this a try. [=

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:03 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

I carry a notebook with me. Whenever I get a new idea, whether it's a character or a new creature or a scene that's running through my head, I write it down. I did this for about six months before I started the second draft of my novel, and it really helped me work out some of the kinks.

Sam's idea is great too, although I think that might just confuse me more. :)

Good luck!
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

Life is a banana peel and I am the fool who dared to tread on it.
— looseleaf